PDA

View Full Version : New guy and a quick question to start with.

drm2169
08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
<insert korny introduction here>. ive had my honda accord for almost a year and its the best car ive ever owned. my quick question is, 5th gear in my car stopped working all together and when i shift into it all it does is rev when i hit the gas. i need to fix it before sept for classes im taking about a hour from where i live. my dilemma is what would be the easiest, cheapest way to fix it? i dont want a new car (which has been suggested a billion times) because my car only has 140k miles on it and its been babied. ideas would be helpful, im not a proffessional mechanic or anything but with time and some pointers ill figure it out. thanx for the future help.

stephensimmons
08-03-2010, 11:41 AM
<insert korny introduction here>. ive had my honda accord for almost a year and its the best car ive ever owned. my quick question is, 5th gear in my car stopped working all together and when i shift into it all it does is rev when i hit the gas. i need to fix it before sept for classes im taking about a hour from where i live. my dilemma is what would be the easiest, cheapest way to fix it? i dont want a new car (which has been suggested a billion times) because my car only has 140k miles on it and its been babied. ideas would be helpful, im not a proffessional mechanic or anything but with time and some pointers ill figure it out. thanx for the future help.

First off 140k?!? Thats like a brand new car on here! Most of us (including me have 200k or better! I have 264k on mine) so your good for ATLEAST another 100k! Now with that being said 5th gear in our cars is a weak point (trust me your not the only one missing it including me and mine bin out when i bought my car and been driving it for a year like that. BUT lucky for you you can fix it without pulling the tranny. If you look under the car on the passenger side where the tranny is you will see a metal side covre on the tranny and if you remove it everything you need to replace to fix the problem is under it.

drm2169
08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
First off 140k?!? Thats like a brand new car on here! Most of us (including me have 200k or better! I have 264k on mine) so your good for ATLEAST another 100k! Now with that being said 5th gear in our cars is a weak point (trust me your not the only one missing it including me and mine bin out when i bought my car and been driving it for a year like that. BUT lucky for you you can fix it without pulling the tranny. If you look under the car on the passenger side where the tranny is you will see a metal side covre on the tranny and if you remove it everything you need to replace to fix the problem is under it.

lol yea i got it from a guy that only had it cuz his grandma gave it to him and she was the only owner. i paid a whoppin 500 dollars for it. I plan to fix it up and what not i just need to get the gear fixed first. but thanx for the info ill probably be posting more once i start fixing it up. it really only needs a paintjob and the interior cleaned up (little kid took crayons and markers and went to town :( ) but again thanx! :)

stephensimmons
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
lol yea i got it from a guy that only had it cuz his grandma gave it to him and she was the only owner. i paid a whoppin 500 dollars for it. I plan to fix it up and what not i just need to get the gear fixed first. but thanx for the info ill probably be posting more once i start fixing it up. it really only needs a paintjob and the interior cleaned up (little kid took crayons and markers and went to town :( ) but again thanx! :)

Any time! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask and we'll try to help you or you can pm me and i'll get back to you as soon as I can.

greentee76
08-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, swapping fifth gear is "supposed" to be easy. Search on here and you will find the info. I believe you need A 30mm socket to extract the gear(which is why I haven't gotten around to fixing mine). Good luck with the project.

Demon1024
08-06-2010, 02:47 AM
that usually happens when the wrong type of oil is used in the tranny. you want to use 10w30/40 motor oil

Dr_Snooz
08-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Yeah, swapping fifth gear is "supposed" to be easy. Search on here and you will find the info. I believe you need A 30mm socket to extract the gear(which is why I haven't gotten around to fixing mine). Good luck with the project.

One of the 15 different wrecked trannies I went through when I was trying to do my swap had the missing 5th gear problem. I pulled the gear off and found that the splines on the countershaft were rounded off. I thought "they say it's easy, but that's not easy." I just took it back and got another (wrecked) trans. I'm so glad that project's done.

MessyHonda
08-07-2010, 10:23 AM
that usually happens when the wrong type of oil is used in the tranny. you want to use 10w30/40 motor oil

yes i put in 5w30 semi blend and the tranny did not like it

PorkChopz
08-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Straight to the questions, lol. Man I hope you get the all tooken care of before classes... Welcome to forum, good luck.