PDA

View Full Version : Very upsetting!

Mchacustoms
08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
So I just did the timing belt, car is running good. Except at idle it is not wanting to stay running. At first I thought it needed a tuneup, the air filter, wire all that fancy stuff was shot. So i replaced them no dice still idles badly. So I have thought of a few things that I have changed since the timing belt.

1. Of course the timing belt, I have thought about it being off a tooth but I want to rule everything out first it was a pain in the butt for me to get it aligned.

2. I do have the alternator belt pretty much as tight as it will go. There is no deflection in the belt. Would that cause it to stumble at idle?

3. There is a vaccum line missing on the plenum. The car is a LXI on the end of the plenum by the brake master cylinder. It is the largest port directly in the center of the end of the plenum. I could not find the hose that went there so I capped it off. Does anyone know where that goes? I am having a hard time deciphering the vaccum diagram.

Any help would be greatly appreiciated! Also thanks for all who commented and helped with the timing belt!

Oldblueaccord
08-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Well did you unhook the battery when you did your work? Mine wont idle if I unhook the battery until I drive it about 25 miles.

Otherwise I would look for a vacuum leak, double check your valve timing and retime the motor using a timing light.

wp

russiankid
08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Did you try plugging that port? It sounds like the brake booster vacuum line is unplugged which creates a MASSIVE vacuum leak.

bullard123
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
X2. Sounds like a vacum leak...How does it respond when you give it gas? I would double check all of your hoses and listen for any hissing sounds..

BITESIZE
08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
It's off by a tooth or distributor is off. Very well might be a vaccuum issue. Do you have a timing gun?