PDA

View Full Version : How to spend my money/ which project to work on

mykwikcoupe
08-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Ive got 2 3geez, a white hatch and a green coupe. The hatch is my commuter and can be worked on but cant be down for very long unless its nice enough to ride one of my motorcycles around. The coupe has been parked in the garage 5 years waiting for priority and some loving. Im curious since Ill have an extra grand or so which project to work on and how to go about it. Ill list my projects for each and a rough cost and you can help me decide.

White hatch
B18c swap
-Engine rebuild including belts, gaskets, pumps but no pistons or bearings $400
-Axles $100
-Lx-Incredible wiring harness $250
Paint prep of CF hood and CF overlay of fiberglass fenders $300
Complete poly suspension, bushings, ball joints $100
Complete AEM big brake kit front and rear free
GSR coupe grey leather seats $400
Swapo boxes and boxes of jdm, euro, aftermarket parts onto the car waiting to complete. Overall the vast majority of the costs being the engine swap of which Ive got the parts just need to complete a few pieces.

Green coupe
B20a turbo kit
-Get new manifold man as current hits motor mount $400
-exhaust, charge pipes, other fabrications $400
-Neptune with display $400
-Other associated pieces (catch can, fittings, injectors)$400
Complete suspension rebuild $100
Complete AEM big brake front and rear free
Rebuild JDM B20A
-Pistons, bearings, rings, valves, seals, machine work$1000
Complete tubular front end from Johnny O/86lxi86 $200

with all these tasks done both cars or either would be a very good candidate for the best accord on the west coast in running with messy/pico/rendon in my eyes. Obviously I wont be able to all of either but which to do in what order. Is it better to complete the hatch without the engine even though Im not happy with the current power. Without the looks is it really worth all the power? On the coupe, should I rebuild the engine and call it good, get it running and call it good even though its not built how Id like it to stay? Do I complete what I can for the turbo even though I cant use it? Thanks for all the help. Mike

A18A
08-07-2010, 11:06 PM
I'd dump the $1000 into the hatch and get that complete, and let the coupe continue being a long term project.

Civic Accord Honda
08-07-2010, 11:07 PM
white hatch > alll

Juggalo88Accord
08-07-2010, 11:53 PM
I vote for tha coupe. If its been sittin that long it deserves a little attention. Plus in washington youll never have Nice weather so you shouldnt have tha hatch out of commission

charliekuney
08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
As one of the few people who have probably seen the coupe in real life, I vote coupe.

MessyHonda
08-08-2010, 06:04 PM
whats wrong with the hatch? does it need a new engine? if not work on it little by little and then work on the coupe...also i have tommys b20 turbo manifold if you need one...

mykwikcoupe
08-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Tommies b20a mani was base on mine as it was built after mine. Rob modified it accept an external wastegate that Ive heard barely clears the hood. Thanks for the offer but at this time Ill pass. The hatch has nothing wrong with it besides Ive got this nearly new 60k mile jdm b18c waiting to go in it. Ive got everything but the axles (which I have but dont fit right) and the harness which I have but looks like some idiot wired it before I got to it and Id like to have angus make me one that looks as good as stock but better.The engine since I know who had it before me would need a good cleaning (its been garaged in a damp corner), some maintenance like the 60k tune up since it hasn't had it and Id swap in some reassurance in new pumps and simple mods like cams.

Im thinking Ill leave the b20a stock no turbo. it runs but needs a tune (neptune), exhaust, finish the front end swap, brakes and other things to get it back on the road and drivable. the rest if any would go into the hatch into the simple things like suspension, maintenance, suspension and easy things. Although I wont have any great AOM material to say but 2 great running 3geez with simple tasteful mods, not slammed but savy

bullard123
08-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Tommies b20a mani was base on mine as it was built after mine. Rob modified it accept an external wastegate that Ive heard barely clears the hood. Thanks for the offer but at this time Ill pass. The hatch has nothing wrong with it besides Ive got this nearly new 60k mile jdm b18c waiting to go in it. Ive got everything but the axles (which I have but dont fit right) and the harness which I have but looks like some idiot wired it before I got to it and Id like to have angus make me one that looks as good as stock but better.The engine since I know who had it before me would need a good cleaning (its been garaged in a damp corner), some maintenance like the 60k tune up since it hasn't had it and Id swap in some reassurance in new pumps and simple mods like cams.

Im thinking Ill leave the b20a stock no turbo. it runs but needs a tune (neptune), exhaust, finish the front end swap, brakes and other things to get it back on the road and drivable. the rest if any would go into the hatch into the simple things like suspension, maintenance, suspension and easy things. Although I wont have any great AOM material to say but 2 great running 3geez with simple tasteful mods, not slammed but savy Two swapped 3geez are definately AOM worthy;). Seems like that hatch will be the best project to start on minus the seats...Those can wait till tax season im guessing. But both projects sounds like fun

Legend_master
08-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I would say get the coupe going as a Daily driver (stock A20), and invest in the hatch (don't judge me I'm bias!). What all does the coupe need to be a DD?

2oodoor
08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I would say get the coupe going a a Daily driver (stock A20), and invest in the hatch (don't judge me I'm bias!). What all does the coupe need to be a DD?

exactly

getting the coupe back on the road would show you are truely motivated and not just trying to figure excuses how to spend money ... harsh but hey :D
It would not only show motivation, it would make you feel good about moving forward with the more radical aspects of both cars. Truely inspiring for yourself which is what really matters.
It seems you have plenty of money already out in pieces of projects not completed so having money in hand is not a reason to suddenly spring into new phases, just apply it to completion of existing phases.

just remember you asked...:flash: