PDA

View Full Version : Keep it simple

nswst8
08-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Sometimes I have tried to and succeeded in out thinking myself with general maintenance.

Case in point "Rough idle, Idle drag" I tried cleaning out the IACV, it helped but did not totally resolve the issue.

Where as a simple routine throttle body cleaning would have resulted with much better results in idling issues.

Make sure you do your general maintenence before trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill issue.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

88lxi-shortram
08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
try running fuel cleaner... if all else fails seafoam it

kentwat
08-12-2010, 12:49 PM
The old Murphys law syndrome. I've had that happen a few times on my 3G. I just take it as someone trying to teach me more patience and tolerance. Both of which seem to go away quick though in the 105+ heat indexes.

nswst8
08-12-2010, 01:27 PM
try running fuel cleaner... if all else fails seafoam it

I've owned this car since 1992 and have maintained this car better than most mechanics would. I have always used premium and mid grade fuel and fuel injector cleaners.

I have been turning wrenches on my own cars for 30 years. Point is don't try to out think yourself on issues. Simple solutions first.

Vanilla Sky
08-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Like that time I chased an electrical problem for hours before just replacing a fuse I thought was good?

2drSE-i
08-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Like that time I chased an electrical problem for hours before just replacing a fuse I thought was good?

Yup me too.

2ndGenGuy
08-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Been there. Almost tore apart my whole engine on the side of the road, when the fuel pump fuse blew. :wave:

2oodoor
08-12-2010, 02:35 PM
good advice...

K.I.S.S keep it simple stupid :):gun:

Vanilla Sky
08-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Sometimes simple is complicated. I have a Jeep with a leaking freeze plug. Instead of inspecting every little connection that might be an issue, I dug in and pulled the transmission, since my coolant was leaking from inside the bellhousing. Probably cut days off of diagnostics just to find it was the most simple (but most complicated to access) issue causing the rapid coolant loss.

Dr_Snooz
08-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Sometimes I have tried to and succeeded in out thinking myself with general maintenance.

Case in point "Rough idle, Idle drag" I tried cleaning out the IACV, it helped but did not totally resolve the issue.

Where as a simple routine throttle body cleaning would have resulted with much better results in idling issues.

Make sure you do your general maintenence before trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill issue.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

They have that IACV wedged in there pretty good don't they? I thought I would be pulling mine out and cleaning it real nice like.

WRONG!!! I couldn't even get the bolts out.

mward
10-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I've owned this car since 1992 and have maintained this car better than most mechanics would.

I used to be a mechanic. I don't know any mechanics whose cars aren't falling apart. As the old adage says, "The shoemaker's children go barefoot". My own car has to be pretty messed up before I even pay attention to working on it. Familiarity must breed contempt for maintenance. Or something.