PDA

View Full Version : dash removal question

import racer
08-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey guys I have a leak on the drivers side and I'm trying to get the dash out to find it.Do i have to drop the steering column to do it.

itzdave
08-10-2010, 05:52 PM
if i remember correctly ya dont, but i do think it might make things easier if ya do...

import racer
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Well i didn't take off the steering wheel or the cover around ign switch and it catches on top of the column,so thats why i asked.

Shilo
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM
I just got my dash out today, and you can do it without dropping the steering column. Just be careful when pulling it out so you don't break the plastic piece that goes over top of the column of it like I did............

lostforawhile
08-10-2010, 06:34 PM
it's really easy to drop the entire thing in one piece, why not take it out of the way and make it much eaisier?

beran24
08-10-2010, 07:37 PM
it's really easy to drop the entire thing in one piece, why not take it out of the way and make it much eaisier?

x2 putting it back in is twice as hard with it in the way its a bitch to tryin lift it up over the wheel and slide it in by yourself with out having it catch up on shit.

lostforawhile
08-10-2010, 07:42 PM
x2 putting it back in is twice as hard with it in the way its a bitch to tryin lift it up over the wheel and slide it in by yourself with out having it catch up on shit.

?? i mean the entire column, with the wheel and everything on it, a few bolts and it's down. you don't disconnect the entire thing.

A18A
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM
you can either remove the steering wheel, the plastic covers & the combination switch, or remove the few bolts holding the column to the body of the car to drop it, either way takes about the same amount of effort, i personally prefer to just drop the column

import racer
08-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks I'll drop the column,I'm not removing the dash just sliding it back so i can find the leak.

import racer
08-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Well slid the dash back,poured some water over the hinge area.Water poured in through the pinch welded area above the vent.Don't know where its coming from outside as i can't find a hole.Any suggestions would be helpful.

charliekuney
08-11-2010, 11:21 AM
^ Door seal. Any weak/missing areas?

lostforawhile
08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Well slid the dash back,poured some water over the hinge area.Water poured in through the pinch welded area above the vent.Don't know where its coming from outside as i can't find a hole.Any suggestions would be helpful.

make sure the rubber corners at the bottom of the drip rails are in place. they are at the back of the cowl cover, they take the water from the roof rails and move it through the drains. if they are missing, water will run down the edge of the door and leak. also take simple green and clean the rubber seals really good. it works trust me, i'm not sure why but it works

import racer
08-11-2010, 03:13 PM
All the rubber seals and cowl are removed to work on the car,i mixed up some resin and hardener and poured it on the area behind the hinge and i think that did it.I have never had one of these cars that didn't leak on the drivers side or passengers side,they just seem to like to rust there.

import racer
08-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Well i went to move the car today but when i started it up the right signal light was flashing and the lever was off.Also when i tried to put it in gear it wouldn't even with my foot on the brake.Plus couldn't get the key out til i took the ground off the battery.What did i hook up wrong or forget to plug in when i had the fuse box unplugged.Can anyone help please.

import racer
08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Got it fixed,went over all the connections and all is good.