PDA

View Full Version : Dash Board

My 89 Accord Lxi
10-09-2002, 02:41 PM
my dash wont light up any more does anyone know how to remove the dash cuz i unscrewd it and i pulled but it seemed like something was gonna break so i left it:help:

BoredRec
10-09-2002, 04:42 PM
You mean the instrument cluster? Or the whole entire dash, from door to door.

Ya know, we may need to post a HOW-TO on removing the cluster to install gauges or something...

Neuspeed87lx
10-09-2002, 05:06 PM
ok the whole dash board is a pain to take out...there are like 4 main bolts holding it on and then thereare some other bolts that need to be removed....also there are some wires that need to be disconnected to get the dash out ....and there are metal lines from the vents that need to be removed........then after you get alll that junk out you need to take your steering wheel off to get the dash out the door and out the car....if you just need to remove the guage cluster then all you do is pop off the plastic plate on the top of the cluster(near the windshield) and take the 2 bolts off under that ...then take out the control for the headlight pop up, the lights dimmer, and the defroster...you know that little control panel with those 3 controls....there is one screw under that....then to the left of the steering wheel there is the control for the mirrors...take that off and there is a screw under that ...then there is a screw under the sunroof control ...after all those are taken out the plastic frame around the cluster will come off then to get the guages out there are 4 screws in each corner....help this helps

My 89 Accord Lxi
10-09-2002, 05:07 PM
no no no just the gauge it dont lite up and my tach stoped wroking

Neuspeed87lx
10-09-2002, 05:41 PM
pop off the plastic plate on the top of the cluster(near the windshield) and take the 2 bolts off under that ...then take out the control for the headlight pop up, the lights dimmer, and the defroster...you know that little control panel with those 3 controls....there is one screw under that....then to the left of the steering wheel there is the control for the mirrors...take that off and there is a screw under that ...then there is a screw under the sunroof control ...after all those are taken out the plastic frame around the cluster will come off then to get the guages out there are 4 screws in each corner....then there are a couple wires pluged into the back of the guage cluster....remove those car the cluter will come out ...help this helps

My 89 Accord Lxi
10-09-2002, 05:46 PM
yeah that helps alot cuz in that stupid haynes book it only showed that 2 screws in the back and the dash comes out it never said take out the defrost and .etc thanx alot i think my gauge clusters have got disconnected cuz my dash dont light up and my tacj dont work anyone know what it could be?

Neuspeed87lx
10-09-2002, 05:54 PM
it may be that the wires came disconnected or mabey a bulb burnt out ?

My 89 Accord Lxi
10-09-2002, 05:56 PM
theres a bulb? YAY!!!!! that means i dont have to replace the entire thing along long time ago my mom put the battery cables on backwards and after that it stoped working along with everything else but mostyl fuses went out maybe i just have to replace the bulb

anchovies
10-09-2002, 10:18 PM
it's not "the bulb"
it's "those bulb"
there's more than one :D

87AccordBoy
10-10-2002, 07:19 AM
it could also be the fuse because it happened to mines anyways if you have questions about it just email me and ill explain it to ok....

My 89 Accord Lxi
10-10-2002, 04:27 PM
these sob's still wont light up

philendrick
06-10-2004, 07:05 PM
it could also be the fuse because it happened to mines anyways if you have questions about it just email me and ill explain it to ok....

Where is the fuse for this? Mine all stopped working at the same time so I can't imagine it's a bulb. All my fuses under the hood and under the dash look fine!

:ugh:

bullard123
06-10-2004, 09:09 PM
I betcha its a fuse. I had one blow out that controlled my speedometer lights and my tail lights. Open your fuse box and check all of your fuses (use the fuse puller if you have one makes the job a lot easier), if you find one thats broken replace it. If thats not the problem thats a good place to start. I don't know what model you have but my fuses are located to the lower left of my steering wheel.

bullard123
06-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Oh by the way nice sig my 89 accord lxi. Fei Long, one of my favorite characters on streetfighter.

philendrick
06-11-2004, 05:34 AM
I betcha its a fuse. I had one blow out that controlled my speedometer lights and my tail lights. Open your fuse box and check all of your fuses (use the fuse puller if you have one makes the job a lot easier), if you find one thats broken replace it. If thats not the problem thats a good place to start. I don't know what model you have but my fuses are located to the lower left of my steering wheel.

Yeah, unfortunately all the fuses look good. I was reading somewhere that it might be the dimmer. Is there a way to bypass the dimmer to test this?

SteveDX89
06-11-2004, 05:46 AM
Yes, unscrew the panel under the steering wheel. The black box that has the 6 pin connector is the dimmer unit. Unplug that connector and jump the red wire to the black wire or a ground. The dash lights should come on when you turn the lights on. If they come on, replace the dimmer unit.

DanLXI88
06-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Open your fuse box and check all of your fuses (use the fuse puller if you have one makes the job a lot easier),

Test light works also and you don't even need to pull the fuse. Ground the light and touch it to both of the pieces of metal on the top of the blade fuse. Both ways work I just thought this way is easier and it gives you 100% accuracy.

BlueBead
06-11-2004, 09:57 AM
the tach stopped working after you pulled on the guage pod the first time right? you probably disconnected the tach wire...... pray that you only disconeccted it and didn't cut it somewhere along its length....
Good luck man

philendrick
06-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Yes, unscrew the panel under the steering wheel. The black box that has the 6 pin connector is the dimmer unit. Unplug that connector and jump the red wire to the black wire or a ground. The dash lights should come on when you turn the lights on. If they come on, replace the dimmer unit.

It was the dimmer! I opened it up and some circuit paths had blistered. I Can't fix it, but the lights on the dash work when I connect the black and red wires.

Thanks for your help!

DanLXI88
06-11-2004, 12:30 PM
It was the dimmer! I opened it up and some circuit paths had blistered. I Can't fix it, but the lights on the dash work when I connect the black and red wires.

Thanks for your help!

Sweet at least now you know what the problem is. If you ask on here I'm sure somebody will have the dimmer and sell it to you cheap.