PDA

View Full Version : steering noise

fogged
08-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Ive been doing alot of work on the ol accord. One of my projects was to do away with the power steering. I found a thread followed the steps, and took alot of parts out. The rack has been plugged up and topped off. It has no leaks. The issue that im having with this is that a week after doing this. Im hearing some sort of grown coming from the front end when I turn the wheels. Could I have done some kind of damage to the rack? Or is this something that will work itself out. If anyone has done this mod and might have a clue. Give me some feed back plz. Because I dont have a clue on this one. :dunno: Thanks as always.

2oodoor
08-15-2010, 01:35 PM
What I would look at is the mounting bushings for the rack itself, the inner and outer tie rod ends too.
If you took the rack completly out recheck the connector to the steering shaft too.
Once in a while lower ball joints will creek when turning too, grease em up if they dont have too much play.
If there are no grease (zerts) fittings then I very very carefully drill a 3/16 hole in the center of the outside cap on the joints then tap out that hole to fit whatever zert you wish to put in there.
Most of the time the oem joints are too worn to do this but it is an option once in a while.

Dr_Snooz
08-15-2010, 05:33 PM
What I would look at is the mounting bushings for the rack itself, the inner and outer tie rod ends too.
If you took the rack completly out recheck the connector to the steering shaft too.
Once in a while lower ball joints will creek when turning too, grease em up if they dont have too much play.
If there are no grease (zerts) fittings then I very very carefully drill a 3/16 hole in the center of the outside cap on the joints then tap out that hole to fit whatever zert you wish to put in there.
Most of the time the oem joints are too worn to do this but it is an option once in a while.

That's a great idea. How do you would fill it though? I know on old American cars, you would pump grease in the fitting until it began oozing out the sides of the joint. With the boots on ours, you wouldn't be able to see that until it ruptured the boot. How do you know when you've put enough grease in these?

fogged
08-15-2010, 10:11 PM
ill have to look at the inner tie rods. they are the only thing i have yet to change. every thing else is less than 4 months old.

2oodoor
08-16-2010, 03:10 AM
That's a great idea. How do you would fill it though? I know on old American cars, you would pump grease in the fitting until it began oozing out the sides of the joint. With the boots on ours, you wouldn't be able to see that until it ruptured the boot. How do you know when you've put enough grease in these?

I thought I edited that, you can use press in zerts or just screw them in they usually work as self tapping. If you use a tap it would have to be a bottom tap, and otherwise the 3/16 hole is just a pilot.

very very carefully put the grease in Snooz dahh :thumbup:you can see it puff up a bit ..then stop pumping :eek:

Dr_Snooz
08-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Sheesh. And here I thought you had some clever trick to it. Oh well.

DBMaster
08-17-2010, 07:11 AM

I had one of those old American cars, a 1972 Pontiac Catalina. If the grease oozed out you had popped the seals on those, too, but people (including shops) did it anyway. They should really have been filled by feeling the rubber seal and stopping when it became "firm." Even with the popped seals, my Pontiac had over 200,000 miles and was still good with the original ball joints and steering linkages. There were literally eleven grease fittings I filled at each oil change.

Oldblueaccord
08-18-2010, 08:50 AM
hate to admit it but when I was a greese monkey I would blow out peoples seal on customers cars I didn't like. We had one of those pneumatic grease guns and I'd go ape shit on there fittings. 17 and had a bad attitude anyway. its was when they come on late on a Saturday as we were closing or something like that.

wp