PDA

View Full Version : Rear hub/spindle measurements, info needed

cygnus x-1
08-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey 3geezers,

I'm looking for some information on the 3g rear hubs. We have a guy over on Preludepower that races (a 2g Prelude) and has been having problems with breaking the rear hub/rotor. One of the solutions I'm researching is retrofitting a 3g Accord hub onto a 2g Prelude spindle. Thing is the Accord hub and bearings are sold as a unit and I haven't been able to find any dimensions for the bearings themselves. Could someone possibly take some measurements on the hub or spindle for me? I need the inside diameter of the bearings (or the spindle diameter) and also the width of the bearings when they are installed in the hub. It would also be helpful to have the outside diameter of the bearings too if possible.

OR, if there are any numbers stamped on the bearings that would be helpful too, since I could probably find the dimensions if I had those numbers.

Also, if anyone has the rear discs from an SE-i, I might be looking for dimensions from those as well depending on what we find out with the hubs.

Thanks!

C|

Ichiban
08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
The 2g prelude and 2g accord spindles are the same, right? If you need those measurements, I have a spare set of bearings sitting on my shelf. I can try asking about the 3g bearing dimensions at Lordco tomorrow to if you want, though the 2g bearings ride on a spindle opposed to the 3g's having a sealed hub assembly.

cygnus x-1
08-15-2010, 08:20 PM
The 2g prelude and 2g accord spindles are the same, right? If you need those measurements, I have a spare set of bearings sitting on my shelf. I can try asking about the 3g bearing dimensions at Lordco tomorrow to if you want, though the 2g bearings ride on a spindle opposed to the 3g's having a sealed hub assembly.

The 2g/2g spindles might very well have the same dimensions, but I was able to find those in the Timken catalog. They list the 3g hub assemblies too but don't have the bearing ID for some reason.

The problem is the combined hub/brake rotor design. The wheel mounting flange is actually breaking where it joins to the bearing shell. I suspect it's mostly due to cheap castings since it's been determined that there is probably only one mfg that still makes them, and all the suppliers use their castings. I'm hoping that the newer style sealed assembly can be fit to the older spindles, thereby removing the weak hub/rotor design. It would also allow the rotors to be replaced without having to tear into hub.

I haven't checked to see if any of the local parts stores have a hub in stock, guess I should probably do that. If your store happens to have one you could measure that would be wonderful, but don't go out of your way. I might be able to find one here if I call around.

C|

LX-incredible
08-16-2010, 12:25 PM
ID: 1.181"
Bearing thickness is about 1.7"

The bearing isn't removable as the inner races are one with the hub.

cygnus x-1
08-16-2010, 12:47 PM
ID: 1.181"
Bearing thickness is about 1.7"

The bearing isn't removable as the inner races are one with the hub.

Dude, you rock! And so does that diameter. I was hoping it would be a little bigger than that, but it IS still bigger than the 2g spindle, so it will fit. The 2g spindle is 1.142" at the back, so the sleeve would only be 0.02" thick for that part, but it tapers down after that so it's not too bad.

Is that 1.7" for each bearing or for the two together? Need figure out if the spindle will be long enough. This will be really awesome if it works!

C|

LX-incredible
08-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Both halves.

Ichiban
08-17-2010, 02:30 PM
So a piece of .020 shimstock at the back, a solid collar at the front, and 3g unit bearing hubs bolt on? I'm curious about the axial location of the disc itself in comparison to the 2g piece.

Now I'm paying attention.

cygnus x-1
08-17-2010, 08:01 PM
So a piece of .020 shimstock at the back, a solid collar at the front, and 3g unit bearing hubs bolt on? I'm curious about the axial location of the disc itself in comparison to the 2g piece.

Now I'm paying attention.

Me too. It's likely there will need to be some spacers, either between the hub and rotor or between the caliper and mounting bracket. But these are no big deal. I think now it's time to gather up the parts and try it out. Found a hub on ebay for $25 and a rotor for $13, both with free shipping! Not the highest quality I'm sure but for an experiment it's hard to beat.

EDIT: This could also work on all the older Accords, Civics, and Preludes as well since they all use the same bearings. Although they have drum brakes so they would have to be converted to discs or another drum would have to be found.

C|

Ichiban
08-19-2010, 11:31 AM
The 2g/2g spindles might very well have the same dimensions...
C|

I'm not 100%, but I think the rear knuckles are actually the same. As are the struts, trailing arms and possibly the LCA's. I have a set of 2g Prelude disc brackets that bolt directly in place of the 2g Accord drum backing plate. It's a pretty ideal setup, except for the breakage issue. Although being able to pull the rotor without disturbing the bearings would be nice.

2ndGenGuy
08-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Although being able to pull the rotor without disturbing the bearings would be nice.

Indeed. A rotor over hub solution would be pretty damn epic. :thumbup:

Civic Accord Honda
08-22-2010, 11:53 PM
hub of rotor sucks donkey dick rotor over hub ftw!
FFFFFFFFUUUUUU 4G!!!

79cord
08-23-2010, 02:47 AM
I've been wondering about this concept for a while as well, since I have the 2g Prelude setup on my 1g Accord!
& if the disc & rotor might weigh more or less than the Preludes combined item.
Was the 3g Accord rear hub any different to that of Civic/Integra's 1988-2000? (or 3g Prelude for that matter)

Noticed the 1g Civic 4x100 rear disc conversions seemed happy to base theirs on either the Prelude or later Civic hubs... but had to modify them anyway for their smaller spindles.

cygnus x-1
08-23-2010, 12:17 PM
I've been wondering about this concept for a while as well, since I have the 2g Prelude setup on my 1g Accord!
& if the disc & rotor might weigh more or less than the Preludes combined item.
Was the 3g Accord rear hub any different to that of Civic/Integra's 1988-2000? (or 3g Prelude for that matter)

Noticed the 1g Civic 4x100 rear disc conversions seemed happy to base theirs on either the Prelude or later Civic hubs... but had to modify them anyway for their smaller spindles.

Fine then. Just rape our few remaining 2g 'ludes for parts to go on your old Accords. :lol:

JK. That's cool that there is some cross compatibility. Hopefully this hub conversion will work out and we can all start raping Integras. :naughty:

So, the part in question is Beck Arnley #051-6005. Fits 97-00 Acura EL, 90-98 Integra, 86-89 Accord, 88-00 Civic, and 93-97 Del Sol. If it works it shouldn't be a big deal to adapt it to any older Hondas with a similar spindle setup in the rear. Provided the brakes can be converted to disc of course.

Stay tuned.

C|

Dr_Snooz
08-23-2010, 07:31 PM
hub of rotor sucks donkey dick rotor over hub ftw!
FFFFFFFFUUUUUU 4G!!!

Oh dude, I'm feeling you. Here is the answer to all your problems:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2027047

Kinda pricy, but soooo worth it.

Sorry for being off-topic...

cygnus x-1
10-28-2010, 05:27 PM
So, I'm bumping this because I ran into an SE-i at the junkyard the other day (yes it did still have the rear spindles, should I grab them for someone?) and I got to thinking about how the only option to put rear discs on a 3g is to do the SE-i swap. Then I discovered that the Civic guys are using this:

http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=42

I'm wondering whether something like this might work for your 3gs? Had I thought about it I would have done a side by side of the SE-i spindles with the regular drum spindles to see what the difference is, but I didn't. And the pictures on Hondapartsdeals aren't helping very much either. Anyone have a pic comparing the two?

C|

Dr_Snooz
10-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Very intriguing. It does look like that would work very well. Shouldn't be very hard to fab up an adapter plate. I already have the parts for my rear disc swap but that's awesome. Thanks!

Ichiban
10-29-2010, 01:16 AM
I now have CNC mill capability.