PDA

View Full Version : Door handle removal

CzEcHy
08-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Ok so my drivers side handle broke and i I can't open my door now. What is the best and easiest way to remove and install a new one (possibly saving my original car key lock also).

Its an electric window with power locks if that helps at all.

The part that broke was not the handle itself, but one of the two "arms" connecting the handle to the inside of my door. Its the outside handle btw.

Thanks

Ayeobe
08-20-2010, 07:52 PM
So, get a new metal rod and bend it? It seems like you'd be fine with getting said broken rod from another JY 3gee?

gtmst3
08-20-2010, 07:56 PM
i beleve he is talking about the plastic that connects the rod to the handle

lostforawhile
08-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Ok so my drivers side handle broke and i I can't open my door now. What is the best and easiest way to remove and install a new one (possibly saving my original car key lock also).

Its an electric window with power locks if that helps at all.

The part that broke was not the handle itself, but one of the two "arms" connecting the handle to the inside of my door. Its the outside handle btw.

Thanks
the linkage, or the actual arm which is part of the handle itself?

stevo89
08-20-2010, 08:28 PM
I think he means part of the handle same thing happened to me and now i have one grey door handle.. Take the door panel of the inside theres two nuts in there i think 8mm possibly 10 i forget. then disconect that linkage with a wrench and Ta da. Now go backwards for the new handle pretty easy Oh almost for got theres also a rod that connects to the lock i had to slip it out alittle and get it from the outside. I just had to use two keys couldnt figure out the lock.. Now i have keyless start and keyless entery.

lostforawhile
08-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I think he means part of the handle same thing happened to me and now i have one grey door handle.. Take the door panel of the inside theres two nuts in there i think 8mm possibly 10 i forget. then disconect that linkage with a wrench and Ta da. Now go backwards for the new handle pretty easy Oh almost for got theres also a rod that connects to the lock i had to slip it out alittle and get it from the outside. I just had to use two keys couldnt figure out the lock.. Now i have keyless start and keyless entery.

yea I couldn't figure out the lock switch either, you can also use rear sedan door handles and get rid of the locks all together, no key holes.

A18A
08-20-2010, 09:17 PM
the lock can be swapped, its just a bunch of clips or something, i forget, but i've done it before so can confirm that they're swappable

CzEcHy
08-20-2010, 09:46 PM
As long as the lock is switchable; I'd like to keep my key ya know?

Anyway the part that broke was one of the two arms like I said, when you lift the handle up (as if you're opening the door), you will see the two little arms behind the actual part your hand touches.

One broke, the important one.

If anyone has a spare one laying around for a couple of bucks I'd like to save a trip and the hassle of the JY.. Since the handles are prob. gone anyway.

1989accordaz
08-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Mi driver's side handle broke a few weeks ago and I chose to replace it with a new one. I bought one that matches my car color.

You can keep your old key cylinder, it has two tabs that locks it in place, just be extremely careful when removing it. The cylinder has 5 or 6 tabs with tiny springs that can come out of the cylinder if you turn it upside down.

Here is a link to the handle, which is the arm that broke and can you tell were it broke at?

http://tiny.cc/e4468