PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Cylinder Wall Scratches?

2ndGenGuy
08-22-2010, 10:31 PM
So I was honing out the cylinders in my 1gee, getting ready to put the motor back together. I noticed that the cylinders have lots of horizontal scratching. It's all the way around the cylinders too...

I tried getting pics, but they really would barely show up. I might try again tomorrow when there is more light. I can't feel them with my fingernail, so I don't know how significant they are, but they haven't honed out yet. I've done about 20 passes on each cylinder and I'm sort of afraid to go any further.

What could have caused this? I only rebuilt it 3 years ago. I had suspicions for a long time that perhaps my rings never seated properly. Or maybe it was running that super shitty Redline air filter, just letting too much dirt though?

Should I maybe have it bored... it was already bored 0.75mm over. And so I could take another 0.25 out and put in new pistons, but I'd rather not if I don't have to...

itzdave
08-22-2010, 10:35 PM
search you NOOB!
lolz <3

id say if ya cant feel it, i wouldnt worry bout it...
where are the scratches at? in relation to tdc and bdc.

2ndGenGuy
08-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey I have been searching the last 2 hours! :tongue: Hence why I read about the fingernail thing... :D

They're all the way up and down the cylinders. And are randomly patterned out 360 degrees all the way around. It's not like it's wear from the skirts, or just at the top and bottom of the cylinders.... I can't find anybody online who has posted a similar problem. Just single big scratches seems to be mostly what happens to people...

Civic Accord Honda
08-22-2010, 11:46 PM
crosshatch it good and it should be fine :D

2ndGenGuy
08-23-2010, 10:43 AM
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/jturkx/MobilePhotoAug232010113933AM.jpg

Looking at them again this morning, they're definitely more prominent on the skirt sides of the cylinders, but they do go all the way around...

itzdave
08-23-2010, 10:49 AM
aint nuthin a lil JB weld cant fix!

id say it looks decent enough...

lostforawhile
08-23-2010, 10:53 AM
crosshatch it good and it should be fine :D

they need to be honed, what you see is the part of the crosshatch into the side of the cyl walls, the raised part of the cross hatch is gone after break in. when you hone the cyl walls the honing stones cut the cross hatch into the walls and caused a raised surface, this is what initially wears in the rings. this raised surface is gone now,just the part below the surface remains.

2ndGenGuy
08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
No I already honed it. That's what the diagonal lines are I think you're talking about. I'm talking about the vertical lines that are sorta hard to see. Or do you mean that I need to just keep honing until they are gone?

2oodoor
08-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I see those, if those were not there before I suspect something wrong with rings or maybe some kinda sanding /grinding debris got in there. Maybe got washed with a buncha gas when you first got it running?
If the rings are good now I wouldn't worry too much, you can't feel it.

You could hone them more if you have room but....

2ndGenGuy
08-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Washed with gas... definitely a possibility. I had suspected that the float bowl was draining out slowly, because after sitting for a week, I would need starting fluid to get the car going, and it would run fine as long as it was started every day. Could have been draining into the intake manifold, and into the cylinders I suppose.

It would also explain why my headgasket seemed to pop after the car refused to crank. Which is why I'm going through this whole debacle. Maybe I just did a really terrible job the first time and fucked everything up. :(

Either way, I think I will try honing just a little bit more, and then just go with it...

lostforawhile
08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
No I already honed it. That's what the diagonal lines are I think you're talking about. I'm talking about the vertical lines that are sorta hard to see. Or do you mean that I need to just keep honing until they are gone?
oh i was just talking to cah was all,

2ndGenGuy
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
oh :)

Lil Mike
08-23-2010, 01:41 PM
did you run it without a air filter for any amount of time?

2ndGenGuy
08-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Nope. But that Redline Weber air filter may have been a total pile of shit...

2oodoor
08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
what does the piston look like and it this the same on all four cyl?

As long as the filter doesn't let sand in then we can't say it was that really??
I know they clog up but that isn't going to dust a motor but they sometimes slide over and leak but is that what happened....

Lil Mike
08-23-2010, 08:59 PM
its not that much different but my atv, had the same scratches but alot more, due to my shitty air filter.

Rendon LX-i
08-23-2010, 10:29 PM
i say you good. looks a bit uneven but good. if your gonna sell it. the person that buys it prolly wont beat on it like you did john LOL. so it well me more then enought for that person

1GCustomAccord
08-31-2010, 02:49 PM
What grit are you using? Looks a lil bit too low. I would use 150 grit sandpaper with light oil or the thingy that is used with the drill that is intended to do that job.

REMEMBER: The sanding pattern should be romboid: ><><><
You get the idea, no straight lines.

Btw, those marks are not the big deal if you cant feel them with your fingernails.

2oodoor
08-31-2010, 03:16 PM
^^^^I would never use sandpaper on cylinder walls, they make hones for that.... how the hell are you going to get all the loose sand out of there if you use sandpaper omg.

lostforawhile
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM
^^^^I would never use sandpaper on cylinder walls, they make hones for that.... how the hell are you going to get all the loose sand out of there if you use sandpaper omg.sandpaper? you need to use a proper hone, no no no!! it need a specific degree cross hatch pattern, it's specified in the manual, after the block is honed it needs to be cleaned, then cleaned again, soap and water and air blown dry, use a rifle cleaning kit to clean the passages, you can't have it too clean. roodoo that comment wasn't directedat you, but at the person you directed your comment to

2ndGenGuy
08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
I used a "Medium Grit" stone on a proper cylinder hone on a drill. I found two separate sources, one said 220 grit, and the other said 400 grit. Honda recommended the 220. It's been done, and the pistons are in, just gotta get to work on the top end now. :D

lostforawhile
08-31-2010, 06:29 PM
I used a "Medium Grit" stone on a proper cylinder hone on a drill. I found two separate sources, one said 220 grit, and the other said 400 grit. Honda recommended the 220. It's been done, and the pistons are in, just gotta get to work on the top end now. :D

that sounds right, the 220 would leave deeper scratches and better hone marks to break in the rings, i could see using 400 if you had to take apart an engine with low miles where the rings were already seated, did you use ported pistons?:bowrofl: remember that guy?

AccordB20A
08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
they actually look like cracks from my computer screen turk

2oodoor
09-01-2010, 03:17 AM
that sounds right, the 220 would leave deeper scratches and better hone marks to break in the rings, i could see using 400 if you had to take apart an engine with low miles where the rings were already seated, did you use ported pistons?:bowrofl: remember that guy?

Im sure he meant emory cloth since he said something about light oil but for sake of correct terms let's not say sandpaper because someone could major screw up. Even with emory cloth you would not want to use that a hell of a lot because it would leave divots.

1GCustomAccord
09-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Im sure he meant emory cloth since he said something about light oil but for sake of correct terms let's not say sandpaper because someone could major screw up. Even with emory cloth you would not want to use that a hell of a lot because it would leave divots.

Sandpaper, emory.. whats the difference? I am not english speaker, lija in spanish means something with abrasive properties, and theres lots, so we say lija (sandpaper) in every case. I use the 3M ¿sandpaper? made of some abrasive substance (not sand i believe) & backing cloth. I can assure a very good result in the case explained in this topic, using 150 grit (or more) and oil, then cleaning the hell out off it, OR (much better) the three legged thing with little stones that can be attached to the drill , but i guess that you have more control if you do it manually (sandpaper.. or i should say emory cloth?).
Sorry for the Babilonic Tower confusion :uh:

lostforawhile
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Sandpaper, emory.. whats the difference? I am not english speaker, lija in spanish means something with abrasive properties, and theres lots, so we say lija (sandpaper) in every case. I use the 3M ¿sandpaper? made of some abrasive substance (not sand i believe) & backing cloth. I can assure a very good result in the case explained in this topic, using 150 grit (or more) and oil, then cleaning the hell out off it, OR (much better) the three legged thing with little stones that can be attached to the drill , but i guess that you have more control if you do it manually (sandpaper.. or i should say emory cloth?).
Sorry for the Babilonic Tower confusion :uh:emeory cloth is not sandpaper, they are two different gators

tomatofiasco
10-01-2010, 10:25 PM
you've probably stopped worrying about this by now but i do agree there's a distinct possibility that you are the Doctor Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayant_Patel) of engine rebuilding! when i took my engine apart to get at the cookies inside i found it had a nice crosshatch hone pattern, and i dont recall it having loads of vertical marks, maybe one or two. maybe its not oiling properly / getting washed as you suggested.

my hatch's radiator sprung 99999999 leaks so i had to have it rebuilt but apart from that its ok :)