PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Camry front lip

turabaka
08-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Legend Master asked me to start a thread on this, so here we go.

I've recently found out that the front lip from an 86-90 Toyota Camry will fit our cars. To my knowledge this lip will only fit the pre-facelift bumpers. So basically 86-87 and the hatchbacks.

pic of the car it came off of.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/2nd_Toyota_Camry_.jpg

and here's what my car currently looks like with the lip on it.

http://chriswoldphoto.com/blog/wp-content/gallery/aug-14th-scca-event/img_0562.jpg

Everything at my house is currently a mess, but I'll see if I can dig out the camera, and show how it's mounted up. Basically it's bolted to the bottom of the bumper with long bolts, and some 1 inch nylon spacers to shove it farther down. If you look in the how-to for the integra lip install that Legend Master did awhile back you'll see basically how I mounted up my lip.

Legend_master
08-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Awsome, I did a little research on the year of the camry and it looks to be 1986-1989. I think the lip was only available on the V6 models. I also looked around at some part websites, and it is still available and rather cheap.

Im not sure if this is the same part or not, but I would imagine the front lower valance would be the same thing as a lip. If it is, then this site (http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/toyotacamry19871990replacement259668096.html?prodS lot=SEO+Make+Model+Part+Page%3A2)has it for $9.00 lol. Im curiose to see if it is the same part. Im gonna head to the Junkyard this weekend and see what I can find.

turabaka
08-24-2010, 06:44 PM
unless the picture in that link is wrong then it's definitely not the right part. I think those camry bumpers come apart into 2 pieces plus the lip. The the valence is the part right below the turn signals.

Legend_master
08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
unless the picture in that link is wrong then it's definitely not the right part. I think those camry bumpers come apart into 2 pieces plus the lip. The the valence is the part right below the turn signals.

I was wondering that myself when I looked at the picture. I can't seem to find any official toyota part catalogs that go back to before 1991. I may hit up a friend at the local dealer and see what he can find.

carotman
08-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Interesting!

I saw that in the other thread and I thought I'd go on a junkyard hunt.

Rendon LX-i
08-24-2010, 10:25 PM
lots of those around here. Need to get 2 sets lol. one for the boosted sedan and hatch. Great find man. Looks sex

13buzz
08-25-2010, 12:03 AM
nice idea.. i like it

lostforawhile
08-26-2010, 04:40 PM
exactly what years is this again? they always have a pile of old camrys at the yard here, any special trim level?

turabaka
08-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I believe the years are 86-90. The lip only comes unpainted like in the first pic, to my knowledge. You can't see it in the first pic, but in the pic of my car you can tell that it's split exactly in the middle. So it's only two pieces.

I should add in that the acura legend lips from the early 90's legends also fit the pre-facelift bumper, but because they're so slim I opted for this instead. I figure it's a mucho better downforce adder.

allen
09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
not sure bout the toyota thing but i put a chin spoiler from a 87 acura integra and all i had to do was take about an 1.5in off each side and looks good on my 87 accord hatch

lostforawhile
09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
not sure bout the toyota thing but i put a chin spoiler from a 87 acura integra and all i had to do was take about an 1.5in off each side and looks good on my 87 accord hatch

the acura one is well known, this new one just gives us more options, the acura ones can be hard to find, the yoda ones are everywhere

turabaka
09-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm making a run to the junkyard tomorrow. Anyone want me to see if I can pull them a lip?

OldSkoolA20accord
09-02-2010, 06:48 PM
if you can use a camry lip you can also use a mk3 jetta lip. had both on my ef hatch

lostforawhile
09-02-2010, 07:11 PM
if you can use a camry lip you can also use a mk3 jetta lip. had both on my ef hatch

good info

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
dude what rims do you have on? are they the xxr bananas?

turabaka
09-02-2010, 07:37 PM
dude what rims do you have on? are they the xxr bananas?

Close. They're15x8 Rota RB's with +35 offset. Those are my race rims only. They've got r-comps on them, so I have another set for street driving. If you want to get those I'd suggest dropping down to a 15x6.5 or a 15x6 since 15.8 sticks out about an inch past the fenders.

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-02-2010, 07:45 PM
nice! cause i want to put some deep dishes on my hatchy

turabaka
09-02-2010, 07:49 PM
They do have a decent lip to them. If you went with a less wide wheel then you could go with a lower offset, and get the look you're going for.
Here's wheel size calculator (http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp)

I'm running 15x8 +35 offset. These clear the steering knuckle by a couple of millimeters, and if my suspension wasn't crazy stiff they'd rub on the fenders as well. As long as you go with something less wide you should be good to go.

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
dude those are sick enough to put on. ill just get a pair of those. ill keep it safe and go with that size. wanted a little wider lip but like u said it my have a few probs.

turabaka
09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
dude those are sick enough to put on. ill just get a pair of those. ill keep it safe and go with that size. wanted a little wider lip but like u said it my have a few probs.

don't forget that 15x8 is going to require some really wide tires to fit properly. the 225/45's I'm running are technically stretched a little bit to fit the rim. Something in a 15x6.5 or 15x7 would give you more options in street tire sizes.

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
gottcha bro.

wat about lowering springs or coil overs which ones work better?

turabaka
09-02-2010, 08:19 PM
My old setup was tokico blues with spring 2.25 inch drop springs. It road fine for daily driving, but sucked for racing. My current setup is ksports, and they're awesome all around. Way stiffer than my sprints, but less bouncy. It'd say they're harder than my tokicos and sprints were for street driving, but they're a whole different league for racing.

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-02-2010, 08:25 PM
yeah im just using my car for daily driving but want to make it look as fancy as i can with it.

turabaka
09-02-2010, 08:41 PM
yeah im just using my car for daily driving but want to make it look as fancy as i can with it.

I'm selling my old setup if you're interested in buying it. link (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73541)
Shocks only have around 3-4k on them total.

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-02-2010, 08:44 PM
i would buy them but i need to fix my engine bottom gasket. its leaking oil and makes the car smoke

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-02-2010, 09:15 PM
would a DAs front lip fit on the hatch cause my friend is selling his

OldSkoolA20accord
09-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Yes DA lips would work but odds are you would have to shorten it.

If you dont have to shorten the camry lip for the accord and you dont for the EF then the lips that work on efs should work on this car. you can use a DA front lip for a rear lip (just cut the exhaust part)

Also i think it looks neat and someone needs to do it. A CD 94-97 accord REAR lip as a front lip. looks cool on an EF think it would do these good.

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-03-2010, 07:47 AM
alrighty then, i should try gettin the da for the rear and find a ef or camry lip for the front.

but what about side skirts should i get any?

OldSkoolA20accord
09-03-2010, 07:56 AM
It really depends on the car. if its a whore door surely 4 door cd accord side skirts would work. the work on 4 door ef's

If its a 2 door or hatch try some ek side skirts.

When i put some ek side skirts on my ef hatch they were about an inch or so too long. might fit perfect on the ca accord hatch.

mitchy13(pikachu)
09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
k ill check into that.

would four door window visors fit on the hatch?

stat1K
09-04-2010, 08:54 AM
k ill check into that.

would four door window visors fit on the hatch?

no

hb420
09-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Does anyone know if a 87 crx lip will fit?

HERBERT
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
try it and let us no

SkateK610
01-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I love the look of a good front lip, reminds me of the mustang boss front spoiler.

lostforawhile
01-18-2011, 02:25 PM
It really depends on the car. if its a whore door surely 4 door cd accord side skirts would work. the work on 4 door ef's

If its a 2 door or hatch try some ek side skirts.

When i put some ek side skirts on my ef hatch they were about an inch or so too long. might fit perfect on the ca accord hatch.
the factory side skirts from a 98 civic whore door will fit on the hatch with just a little modification, i just held them up but I definitely could make them work

turabaka
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM
the factory side skirts from a 98 civic whore door will fit on the hatch with just a little modification, i just held them up but I definitely could make them work

Got a picture of the side skirts you're talking about? I definitely need to do something about my current side skirt condition. They're completely hammered from people not using the jack points.

lostforawhile
01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Got a picture of the side skirts you're talking about? I definitely need to do something about my current side skirt condition. They're completely hammered from people not using the jack points.
i'll try to take one, it's just a factory skirt from a 4 door 98 civic

lostforawhile
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
i'll try to get out there later on, I have the flu and am wiped out from being at work all day

turabaka
01-18-2011, 05:02 PM
i'll try to get out there later on, I have the flu and am wiped out from being at work all day

That blows. No rush man. Get better soon.

A18A
01-18-2011, 05:11 PM
98 civic whore door

lol

RAZR
11-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Ok so i have looked on that link and everywhere else and i cant find this lip. I found it one place but was like 200 dollars! So does anyone kno where i can get it?

Thanks

turabaka
11-12-2011, 06:38 PM
I picked mine up from the Junkyard. Just go through the yard and start taking lips off of various cars until you find something you like that fits. So far camry lip with spacers is the fattest stock lip I could find.

RAZR
11-12-2011, 07:32 PM
I picked mine up from the Junkyard. Just go through the yard and start taking lips off of various cars until you find something you like that fits. So far camry lip with spacers is the fattest stock lip I could find.

I dont have any good yards near me and the only yard near me, all the cars are shells there are never parts on them they get picked so fast.

turabaka
11-12-2011, 07:33 PM
I might make a run to the junkyard soon here. Still need to find a high mount stop light for a hatchback, and some misc stuff. Do you want me to keep my eyes peeled for you?

RAZR
11-13-2011, 05:32 AM
I might make a run to the junkyard soon here. Still need to find a high mount stop light for a hatchback, and some misc stuff. Do you want me to keep my eyes peeled for you?

Yeah that would be awesome if u could keep your eyes peeled for the Camry lip. Just so long as your willing to put it on eBay.

cygnus x-1
11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah that would be awesome if u could keep your eyes peeled for the Camry lip. Just so long as your willing to put it on eBay.

You're in Chicago. Have you tried any of the Pick-n-Pulls yet? The one in Hammond IN is ungodly huge. So many cars it's unreal. The Summit one is ok. I live up near Waukegan so I go to the Wadsworth P&P, which is pretty decent. There is another yard in Waukegan that's ok sometimes.

http://www.picknpull.com/
http://apcity.com/

C|

RAZR
11-14-2011, 12:27 PM
You're in Chicago. Have you tried any of the Pick-n-Pulls yet? The one in Hammond IN is ungodly huge. So many cars it's unreal. The Summit one is ok. I live up near Waukegan so I go to the Wadsworth P&P, which is pretty decent. There is another yard in Waukegan that's ok sometimes.

http://www.picknpull.com/
http://apcity.com/

C|
All of those yards a little under 2 hr drive each way.

Edit: im not in Chicago i live in Oswego

cygnus x-1
11-14-2011, 03:29 PM
All of those yards a little under 2 hr drive each way.

Edit: im not in Chicago i live in Oswego

Oh, you're out by Aurora then. Closest P&P for you would be the one in Summit. It's right next to Midway airport. A little under an hour each way. There is also Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensenville (they have that hilarious old commercial where the guy opens the door on his car and it falls off). That's also about an hour from you.

C|

RAZR
11-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Oh, you're out by Aurora then. Closest P&P for you would be the one in Summit. It's right next to Midway airport. A little under an hour each way. There is also Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensenville (they have that hilarious old commercial where the guy opens the door on his car and it falls off). That's also about an hour from you.

C|

There is an aurora junk yard but thats the one where the cars have either been rolled, burnt to a crisp, or just shells