PDA

View Full Version : Header flange cut from plate mild-steel

A20A1
10-09-2002, 06:49 PM
Is it safe to use a steel flang that has a thickness about the same as a CD case.

Mild steel.

it's about a foot square.... so I'll just cut it in half and make 2 seperate flanges.

I'm a bit worried how flush/flat the steel is... but it would be easier for me to cut and weld then if I used the cast iron.

smufguy
10-13-2002, 01:26 PM
no, due to vibrations and heat, and temperature changes, it will either crack, or wont be effective. Get a steel that is the size of one and a half size cds. 2 cds is way too thick and bending them is fun. And its too much for ur job.

Sean
10-13-2002, 05:22 PM
use a minum of 3/8 thick steel.

A20A1
10-14-2002, 12:21 PM
ok thanks

I'll go with 1/2" if I can find it.

all I need now is a plasma cutter.

smufguy
10-14-2002, 05:14 PM
well how about a cut off wheel, that would be just fine and use the grinding stone or ur trick to smooth it out. we in SAE always use cut off wheel to cut em.

A20A1
10-14-2002, 09:59 PM
the plasma cutter removes the bulk of the material, the rest is done by a grinding tool. I wont grind the ports fully till I get the primaries set right that way I hope I'll make less mistakes.

the holes for the studs will be the hardest... and I'll have to make 2 seperate flanges with welded primaries and then tack weld the header together with a bar layed over the primaries. Next I'll weld on the second larger stage of primaries and connect them to the merge collector.

I could use a single flange but I'm not sure if i can find good 18" x 18" 0.5" thick steel