PDA

View Full Version : carb tranny in a fi lxi

just1
08-30-2010, 05:42 PM
will it work out?

89T
08-30-2010, 05:54 PM
very good for turbo application, or fuel economy.

just1
08-30-2010, 06:32 PM
very good for turbo application, or fuel economy.

nicee ...someone was telling me the timing is going to be slow and is gointo spudder alot

Ayeobe
08-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Manual or automatic? the manual (as read other places on the forum) has longer gears on the carb'd engine. I know nothing about automatic, though. sometimes, i even forget how to use them. Wish i had a 5spd.

So, is it manual, or auto?

Jajle
08-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I know nothing about automatic, though. sometimes, i even forget how to use them.

Throw that bitch in the D4, hit the gas, and prepare to go NOWHERE! :P
Sorry /threadjack

Ayeobe
08-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Sorry /threadjack

Well, not quick anyway. Shit, i cant wait to get a 5speed lol. BTW, seeing as we're talkin about transmissions, is D4 OD, and D3 non-OD? Its the only thing i can think of to explain why you can go into D3 withought pressing the button.

just1
08-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Manual or automatic? the manual (as read other places on the forum) has longer gears on the carb'd engine. I know nothing about automatic, though. sometimes, i even forget how to use them. Wish i had a 5spd.

So, is it manual, or auto?

its an auto

Jajle
08-31-2010, 04:17 AM
Well, not quick anyway. Shit, i cant wait to get a 5speed lol. BTW, seeing as we're talkin about transmissions, is D4 OD, and D3 non-OD? Its the only thing i can think of to explain why you can go into D3 withought pressing the button.

Good question, I'm not sure. I may drive around today with it in D3 and see how it goes.

Edit: I drove to school this morning in D3, It wouldn't shift to fourth and I couldn't get it to go into over drive. I was doing sixty in third so I'm guessing D3: 1-3 No-OD D4: 1-4 OD. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2oodoor
08-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Sorry /threadjack

so you have one and still talking smack? ok blissfull arogence I guess because Ive had two different set ups with modified motors and both of them haul ass.
have to make some fine tuning adjustments but yeah, still not as neck snapping as a five speed but still ok. Can smoke the tires from a dead stop without snatching anything, just floor the gas.

Jajle
08-31-2010, 08:43 AM
so you have one and still talking smack? ok blissfull arogence I guess because Ive had two different set ups with modified motors and both of them haul ass.
have to make some fine tuning adjustments but yeah, still not as neck snapping as a five speed but still ok. Can smoke the tires from a dead stop without snatching anything, just floor the gas.

I'd like to know how you do it. Seriously. Please tell me how you've modified your motors to make your tires spin by flooring it. Seriously.

2oodoor
08-31-2010, 10:07 AM
I'd like to know how you do it. Seriously. Please tell me how you've modified your motors to make your tires spin by flooring it. Seriously.

without details: I have timing set to best part throttle response without preignition issues/ not sure what the numbers are.
I have TV control cable set to suit me, it goes into overdrive and stays while doing 62-70+ mph as well as shifts at appropriate rpms at part throttle, shifts with a tap of the pedal at low rpms and shifts just before redline at WOT. Took some tweaking of that adjustment to get it right, and the cable does not bind or hang and moves easy with throttle opening.
The A20A1 I had in this car earlier had DC header, weber 32/36, fresh valve job, and all vacuum removed except PVC, brake booster and vac advance.
The B20A that is in it now is set up about the same, with weber 38 at the present time. Automatic slush boxes on both motors. 15 inch alloys too, these wheels weigh around 12 lbs each.
Motor mounts filled with urethane windowweld.
Glad to help anytime you ask.

Jajle
08-31-2010, 02:45 PM
without details: I have timing set to best part throttle response without preignition issues/ not sure what the numbers are.
I have TV control cable set to suit me, it goes into overdrive and stays while doing 62-70+ mph as well as shifts at appropriate rpms at part throttle, shifts with a tap of the pedal at low rpms and shifts just before redline at WOT. Took some tweaking of that adjustment to get it right, and the cable does not bind or hang and moves easy with throttle opening.
The A20A1 I had in this car earlier had DC header, weber 32/36, fresh valve job, and all vacuum removed except PVC, brake booster and vac advance.
The B20A that is in it now is set up about the same, with weber 38 at the present time. Automatic slush boxes on both motors. 15 inch alloys too, these wheels weigh around 12 lbs each.
Motor mounts filled with urethane windowweld.
Glad to help anytime you ask.

Well, sorry for my doubting ways. Guess mine just needs work. I did get my tires to spin today, but in the rain.