PDA

View Full Version : alternative alternator question

lostforawhile
08-31-2010, 08:56 PM
I know there are threads but they are pretty buried, what is the upgrade alternator that was being swapped into the three g, i'm looking because my alternator is up front, and has plenty of clearance, but I'm trying to figure out how the FI accord later alternators functioned in a non computer controlled setup. I can put pretty much anything in there I want, what I would really like to use is a sixth gen civic alternator, the one on my wifes car has the same pulley grooves as the AC belt groove on our car, I tested an AC belt on it while I was doing the new timing belt. anyone know the output of these and if there's a match with a higher output, such as an integra one? The main thing I'm worried about is making the voltage regulator work without computer control. I can get these at the you pull it yard here for 20 bucks, I can't find the civic pulley so i might as well get the entire alternator. I think with my small battery a higher output alternator running on less load,will be more reliable then a smaller one running full out all the time. it's not working nearly as hard, less heat etc.

A18A
08-31-2010, 09:46 PM
you can swap the voltage regulator from your carbed car into other alternators no problems

nswst8
08-31-2010, 10:06 PM
I thought the upgrade alternators others were dropping in were 4th gen accord I believe stock on those are about 110 amps.

Civic Accord Honda
08-31-2010, 10:11 PM
stock is like 60amps, if i recall and the 4g was 80 or something.. i know 1st gen legend alternators are also considerd in upgrade

lostforawhile
09-01-2010, 02:52 AM
does anyone know the specs 6th gen civic alternators? they have the exact pulley i need already on

Civic Accord Honda
09-01-2010, 03:17 AM
i reckon there around the same as 3g.. but u can order upgraded ones for them on many websites...

stat1K
09-01-2010, 05:00 AM
most civic alternators are 70 amps. the obd2 plug is different than the obd0-1 plug...

they make higher amp alternators for most cars, i'm not sure why you're looking outside of the genre? is it that you already have a 96-2000 alternator?

lostforawhile
09-01-2010, 12:33 PM
most civic alternators are 70 amps. the obd2 plug is different than the obd0-1 plug...

they make higher amp alternators for most cars, i'm not sure why you're looking outside of the genre? is it that you already have a 96-2000 alternator?the pulley on that alternator matches the crank pulley grooves for the ac belt which is what it has to run off of

nswst8
09-01-2010, 01:58 PM
It looks like the alt you have is only 70-75 amps.

lostforawhile
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
i would swap pulleys but i just can't get my hands on a sixth generaion alternator pulley been looking for two years, you can't even just order one unless it's one of those expensive aluminum ones , no matter who i call or contact i can't find a plain stock factory pulley for that car without the entire alternator attached to it :uh: he only charges 20 bucks for an alternator used but i can't get my hands on one

stat1K
09-23-2010, 07:17 AM
forgot about this thread.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~pulley~31141-P2E-A01.html

mushroom_toy
09-23-2010, 11:37 AM
DO NOT swap voltage regulators between alternators, unless they are rated exactly the same. If you do it WILL catch fire. Ask me how I know.

AccordEpicenter
10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
I would just get a rewound alt. I still have my 145amp alt from when I had my stereo system in the accord, even with all the lights on, and the system at max load (between the head unit and amp it was around 100 amps ALONE) and I never had the lights dim as long as the engine was over about 1500-2000rpm. That was on the stock battery also. I have a stock alt in now though with the new engine. I dont need 145 amp capacity right now lol

lostforawhile
02-23-2011, 04:22 PM
since the civic is going to be sitting for a while, instead of swapping the accord alternator to the AC bracket with the civic pulley, I'm just going to swap in the civic alternator, I figured out the wiring, it's extremely simple, yellow and black to an ignition switched source, blue/white to the factory blue/white wire, and since I have no computer the other two wires get taped off, the interesting thing on this OBD2 alternator, is by grounding the green/white wire, it unloads the alternator, that has a lot of interesting possibilities such as using an rpm switch to free up drag at higher rpm, the best thing is it's smaller and lighter then the factory one, and it rated at 75 amps for the one i've got, this is vs 68 for the factory, there are also a ton of aftermarket civic alternators out there with higher outputs, i've been trying to get out there to pull it, but haven't had a chance yet, I will take comparison pictures when I do, the pulley on it exactly matches the AC groove in the crank pulley, i have a lot of electrical stuff, but it's all intermittent load, nothing pulls a large amount of current for an extended amount of time, the only thing that does are the fog lamps, there is really no point in me running anything like a 100 amp alternator with it's associated drag, most of the complexity in the harness in the car are control relays for the alarm and other items,