PDA

View Full Version : About to make long trip. need help

dustinksmith
09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
OK. i just got an '89 Accord LX. Carbed :/. Pretty Clean. I have to drive it from Houston, TX to Springfield, MO and i was wondering if there were any small things that would make the trip easier, i just did an oil change today. I hope this is the correct area to post this. once i get enough posts, ill be making a thread with pictures.

phrenology
09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
OK. i just got an '89 Accord LX. Carbed :/. Pretty Clean. I have to drive it from Houston, TX to Springfield, MO and i was wondering if there were any small things that would make the trip easier, i just did an oil change today. I hope this is the correct area to post this. once i get enough posts, ill be making a thread with pictures.

Cheap and easy: Give er a quick tune up, check the plugs, wires, etc. Check the radiator and coolant levels, if in doubt change out the thermostat, $10 and it could save your engine!!! Look for any oil leaks. Make sure the air filter on the carb is clean. Check your other fluids...brakes, tranny, power steering. Make sure the tires are good and at proper pressure.

dustinksmith
09-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Coolant flush was done recently and checked all the fluids and tires, thanks. can't wait to get her home and start working on her

nswst8
09-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Put a new radiator cap on. It's a cheap saftey measure. Especially if you do not know when it was last changed.

I did a cross country trip back in 86 and my Olds kept over heating then developed a leak in the intake mainfold gasket. Had a shop change the gasket and it still kept over heating. Come to find out in was the ($3) radiator cap.

dustinksmith
09-07-2010, 05:42 AM
well it made the 12 or so hour drive home, anything over 70 and it shakes, i am thinking the tires need balancing. previous owner said it was done not to long ago, but i just want to check and make sure, so i will have that done while at work, also the car won't idle, and its an auto so its a huge pain, i was told that it needed a new carb, so i am looking into a 32/36 or 38/38 swap right now, as well as seeing if i can get equal length headers made at work.

hb420
09-10-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm doing the same thing next week, i'm flying to Pa to pick up an 88 accord and driving it 12 hours (650 miles) back to louisville. How much did you spend on gas?

charliekuney
09-11-2010, 08:58 AM
^ For that trip, driven right, I'd say about $50 on $3/gal gas. That's exactly 40mpg, which sounds right for these cars. You might be able to do better than that, because my car had a fuel/oil/coolant leak and ran like shit.

dustinksmith
09-12-2010, 09:19 PM
im not sure how much i spent, i'm sorry. i was traveling with another vehicle, so when they stopped to fill up i topped off so we wouldn't have to wait for me. but it sips gas. i would say you will need to fill your tank at least once. if you top off before you start, i made it 200 miles to a half a tank(actually more, but just to be on the safe side), making it 400 miles on 1 complete tank. so if you fill up before you leave, you should only have to fill up once while on the road. so ya about $50 maybe even less.