PDA

View Full Version : Brake drums

anchovies
10-09-2002, 08:49 PM
1)Okie how do you take the brake drums off?
From the look of it, it should just slide off. No?
I see 2 smaller holes probably for pushing the brake drums off. If so what's the size of bolts/screws should I use?

2) Is the spindle nut cap on the inside or outside of the brake drums? I can't tell from all the rust.
If it's inside then I need to take the brake drums off, and then get to the spindle nut. Hmmm..that's quite dangerous in order to get the spindle nut loose.

3) I'm changing the rear knuckles. Should I just get the SEi rear disk :tongue:

thanks

Dutchboy
10-09-2002, 09:07 PM
the drums should pull off..if they dont youll have to try carefully pulling it off using the holes you mentioned...(i think there either a 6 or 8 mm)
or else youll have to back off the adjusters using the small hole on the top of the rear cover.

There isnt a spindle nut on our cars[DONT BELIEVE ME] hheheh...Its a hub held on by 4 bolts accesable after the brake stuff .is removed...Read on i think Jared knows more...:tongue:
(i though of editing it more but nah..)

i think you mean your changing the hub...not knucle becasue i dont think you have to remove the hub to take all of it off....Not sure though...

Im not sure on the se-i disks but i would do it if you can get some...better braking.

Ben

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-09-2002, 09:08 PM
1) Yea they just slide right off, and yes those 2 holes are for threading a bolt in to push the drum off. I forget what size though, but it's probably a 10mm head, which would make the inside diameter about 6mm. Make sure the parking brake is off too, hehe. Sometimes it takes a little work to get those things off (especially when they're all rusty). They have to come off perfectly straight--if they go a little bit crooked they will jam. I found it helped if you tried to turn the drum as you were pulling it off, it kidna breaks the rust ring up some on the inside of the drum.

2) Yes, the little cap is on the inside. It does stick out a little from the drum, but I don't think you could get it off without taking the drum off.

3) YES! Drum brakes are a pain in the ass :angry: :D

Dutchboy
10-09-2002, 09:09 PM
dont the hubs come off with 4 bolt?
or do some models not have one....but have the bearings in the drum also?

Ben

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-09-2002, 09:15 PM
The diagram in my manual shows it as having a spindle nut that holds the hub on. The backing plate looks like it's held on with 4 bolts, maybe that's what you were thinking of.

:)

Dutchboy
10-09-2002, 09:17 PM
Oh mabye it is.....I guess i could have gotten my manual...(it never seems to be handy)

I think your right....im not thinking...
dont worry....4 years in automotive mechanics will do me good!!!
I start next year..

BEn

anchovies
10-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Stop the chat lol...jk
Anyway, there should be a spindle nut, and you have to remove everything to get to it, that means you have to take off a 130+ ft-lbs without the wheels on!!!!
oh...i can just put the wheels back on after the brake drums are out to loosen the spindle right?

Dutchboy
10-09-2002, 09:41 PM
tell you later. when i got the manual....im not going outside now....Its dark and windy!!,.,,,im scared someones going to hurt me!....somoeon resembling nate....(Fricken picture,,,insanly gross)

anyway..
good night
Ben

anchovies
10-09-2002, 09:45 PM
Yeah i have to walk half an hour home after this cause my stupid car is..welll stupido

YK86
10-09-2002, 09:53 PM
You can slide the drum off, pop off the cover with a flat head, and then slide the drum back on. Then pull the e-brake. This will keep the hub from spinning. A long breaker bar and/or a pipe will help make things easier.

anchovies
10-09-2002, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah...i always forget that the drums are also part of the brake (and yes I did tried to take off the drum with the hand brakes still on lol)

yet another stupid design...can't they just put the cap outside darn it

okie..anyone with a ballpark price for the rear sei disk conversion? The last time I remember was $300, but someone said it's $100++?? I do need the whole sei knuckle right?

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-09-2002, 10:49 PM
Woodfins used auto parts shows that they have the complete rear disc suspension for $172.44 or something close to that

https://www.woodfins.com/index.ASP

:)

anchovies
10-09-2002, 11:01 PM
oh yeah...i just checked b4 this and the shipping also $100++ totalling ~300 lol
and we don't even know what parts comes with it...hopefully i'll be able to score some in the junk yard...but probably not :(

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-09-2002, 11:19 PM
How far are you from Davie, FL? That one guy (forgot his name) said the U Pull It in Davie just got an SE-i in. If you're nearby you could just go pull it yourself and save on shipping.

Dutchboy
10-10-2002, 08:23 AM
see what happens when you dont sleep.!

i was nt thinking last night....
Yah that nut is going to be tight like the front would be....it says 134pounds..!

Make sure you bend the little notches in the nut out first...or it is a castle nut remove the pin....It says stakes in the manual..so i guess its notched like the front nuts..

Ben

anchovies
10-10-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
How far are you from Davie, FL? That one guy (forgot his name) said the U Pull It in Davie just got an SE-i in. If you're nearby you could just go pull it yourself and save on shipping.

man Davie is 6 hours away :mad:

and I need to bleed the stupid brakes if I change the knuckle ....arrggsghhh..
Well I have to change the fluid anyways.

So what do you guys use to plug the brake line?