PDA

View Full Version : seafoam question

CzEcHy
09-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Changing oil tommorow, was wondering PROPER way to induce seafoam before oil change..

I heard it was the day before an oil change pour half a can (correct me if I'm wrong), into the crankcase, and drive for a day yhen change oil.

I deliver pizza tonight so would it be acceptable to do this? I may put 100 miles on the caar just tonight, or maybe just 20...

I can hold off the oil change if anyone has better instructions

ecogabriel
09-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Read the instructions in the can itself.

However, I am not sure that you can drive THAT long (or drive at all) with seafoam in your oil.

If I heard (or remember) right, you are supposed to add it to the crankcase and run the engine at idle for a few minutes, and then drain all the oil.

I used seafoam to clean my intake manifold; if you use it that way make sure to be away from your neighbors the clouds are something to behold!

By the way, is your engine so dirty to start with? Because if that is the case I'd be concerned with that crap getting loose and clogging the oil pump pickup screen and starving your engine...

Ichiban
09-05-2010, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't bother to buy that shit ever. Putting a solvent into the crankcase is about the worst idea ever. The only way to clean your crankcase is to 1) increase the frequency of oil changes and 2) use a high detergent oil, like a diesel grade (Shell Rotella T 10w-30 comes to mind).

Even cleaning the intake/valves/chambers can be done with plain old ATF. Pour it into the throttle body so it reaches all cylinders evenly and slowly increase the speed until the engine just dies (you don't want to hydrolock the motor). Let it sit and soak into the carbon deposits for 15 minutes or so, then start and run the engine hard. The ATF heats up and gassifies when the engine runs, breaking up the carbon deposits from the inside. It also has a detergent effect, and is likely way cheaper than Shitfoam.

I seriously would never use that crap.:madflip:

CzEcHy
09-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Read the instructions in the can itself.

However, I am not sure that you can drive THAT long (or drive at all) with seafoam in your oil.

If I heard (or remember) right, you are supposed to add it to the crankcase and run the engine at idle for a few minutes, and then drain all the oil.

I used seafoam to clean my intake manifold; if you use it that way make sure to be away from your neighbors the clouds are something to behold!

By the way, is your engine so dirty to start with? Because if that is the case I'd be concerned with that crap getting loose and clogging the oil pump pickup screen and starving your engine...

When we adjusted my valves it had very very light sludge on two tinyyy areas, I just wanted to clean it nicely and use the rest of the seafoam for the carburator, then throw some fresh oil in and engine restore.

ecogabriel
09-06-2010, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't bother to buy that shit ever. Putting a solvent into the crankcase is about the worst idea ever. The only way to clean your crankcase is to 1) increase the frequency of oil changes and 2) use a high detergent oil, like a diesel grade (Shell Rotella T 10w-30 comes to mind).

x2
I use Rotella T 15w40 (I cannot get 10w30 in dino form)
Anyway, it works fine in hot weather and it is not that bad for the winters in the south...

import racer
09-06-2010, 03:25 PM
So can we run diesel oil in a gas engine?

Civic Accord Honda
09-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Yes, it just has more anti burn and aniti wear stuff in it which is great, i run 15w40 chevron dello in the 4th gen, was burning oil every 1k with 20w50 in it, now it only uses a quart every 4k.. so yeah it helps alot also made the engine quiet, was pretty loud with the 20w40 gasoline engine oil in it...

ecogabriel
09-07-2010, 03:06 PM
short answer: yes

long answer: Rotella, Mobil, and Chevron also meet API standards for gasoline engines (SM for Rotella T, and most likely for the others)

http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageServlet?FC=/rotella-en/html/iwgen/ask_our_expert/app_askourexpert_faq.html