PDA

View Full Version : rad fan turns on long after car is off

mykwikcoupe
09-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Noticed on a friends car (89 accord lxi) that even after the car has been off for hours her fan would cycle on for a few minutes and turn back off? I replaced the TW sensor a few month back to fix a hard starting issue. I replaced the rad fan switch in the lower portion of the rad to fix an overheating issue. I could search but I remember seeing quite a few threads about this. Im hoping someone can just clue me in to it. Thanks everyone,

charliekuney
09-08-2010, 09:08 AM
^ My first coupe did that. It would be on for hours and hours and hours. I removed the battery cables and reattached them with the fan relay/fuse out (whatever is in the box under the hood) and got a new relay. Fixed the problem.

labeledsk8r
09-08-2010, 09:21 AM
my old 89 coupe did this aswell, and even my 94 coupe does it, i figure its fine as long as it doesnt run to long after the cars been off....

nswst8
09-08-2010, 09:34 AM
You have a cooling issue, if the fan cycles it is in reference to temperature. faulty thermostat, air in the system, clogged heater core or radiator, worn water pump.

Something is not allowing the engine to cool down enough so that the fans are not engaging after engine is shut off.

lostforawhile
09-08-2010, 10:18 AM
You have a cooling issue, if the fan cycles it is in reference to temperature. faulty thermostat, air in the system, clogged heater core or radiator, worn water pump.

Something is not allowing the engine to cool down enough so that the fans are not engaging after engine is shut off.

well he said it was off for hours then it would come on, it's eithier that relay or the fan timer box under the seat, i can'r remember which seat but i believe it's the black box, that box is always hot to allow the circuit to keep the fan running after shutdown, if it malfunctions the fan could switch on any time. if it's that box i believe i have a spare from an lxi

RobT5580
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
My new coupe is doing that as well but the relays appear fine so i just ordered a new thermo sensor that is located on the radiator. I could be wrong but i believe that this is the sending unit that sends power to the relay when its up to temp.

I should have mine this week sometime so PM me if you don't figure it out by then!

nswst8
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Your right I didn't read that clearly.

lostforawhile
09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
My new coupe is doing that as well but the relays appear fine so i just ordered a new thermo sensor that is located on the radiator. I could be wrong but i believe that this is the sending unit that sends power to the relay when its up to temp.

I should have mine this week sometime so PM me if you don't figure it out by then!

there is a timer unit to stop it from running past a certain time, i believe it says shindengen on it, and part number tv-38 should be under one of the seats, i believe thats the correct box

ecogabriel
09-08-2010, 02:49 PM
There is a second switch in the thermostat housing near the TW sensor; that is the one that turns the fans on when the engine is stopped (in combination with the timer others mentioned which I think is somewhere under the passenger's seat)

mykwikcoupe
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Ill try that box under the seat first. Im sure Iv replaced the second sensor on the Tstat

lostforawhile
09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Ill try that box under the seat first. Im sure Iv replaced the second sensor on the Tstat
if it's the one i think it is i have one

Civic Accord Honda
09-09-2010, 11:01 AM
u try replacing the relay? fixed my civics issue... didnt fix the accords though i just wired them to a 3g cruise control switch lol. only issue is if i dont leave the fans on for 10 minutes after i shut the car off if i go out 10 or so minutes later to go somewhere else the temp gauge will be pegged to the H O.o