PDA

View Full Version : Turn Signal

Xaisk
09-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Well this one has me stumped. I think its a relay or flasher unit gone bad...

I took the upper and lower steering column panels off to inspect my ignition key switcher way back when, and put it back together resulting in my left turn signal flashing at twice the speed of normal. Now it doesnt flash.. It just stays lit up making this annoying sound when turned on.

I think its a flasher unit or a relay based on some stuff I read off the web. I tryed messing around with wires to see if that made any difference to it, with the theory in mind that I might have crossed something that shouldnt have been crossed to no avail.

Whaddya you guys think?

charliekuney
09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Maybe you messed up the contact ring?

Xaisk
09-08-2010, 09:32 AM
I dont really think it was that because I never took anything but the cover apart, not did I really mess near the turn signal wires. I really just took it apart, looked at the ignition key contacts, and put it back together.

Xaisk
09-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I inspected the contacts a few minutes ago and there was nothing wrong with the contacts. Guess im going to check the tech guide for where the flasher is located.

Oldblueaccord
09-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Usually when the indicator light flashes fast there's a bulb out. Check that out first.

wp

Dr_Snooz
09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
^^^ What he said.

charliekuney
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Usually when the indicator light flashes fast there's a bulb out. Check that out first.

^^^ What he said.

Now it doesnt flash.. It just stays lit up making this annoying sound when turned on.

Xaisk
09-09-2010, 08:25 AM
ah so you guys think something is wrong with the bulb? I plan on going to the junkyard tommorow so I could pick up a few things. Was going to grab some spare backup relays including a turn signal one and throw it in to see if that helped. I need a bunch of stupid tiny things like the metal silver rectangle that mounts the headlight. Also an exhaust mani from one of the LXIs...

This problem is really annoying though. Sometimes when I go on base to go to work the cops say something about it and it makes me cringe haha.

If it IS a bulb out.. it is going to be inside the dash thing with the speedos and tachs right? I like the green flasher so I will just pick one from the junkyard.

I think I might change the green speedometer and tach lights to red.. im going to try and find someone who already has tryed it or photoshop my own so I can get a basic idea of what it might look like.

lostforawhile
09-09-2010, 08:53 AM
ah so you guys think something is wrong with the bulb? I plan on going to the junkyard tommorow so I could pick up a few things. Was going to grab some spare backup relays including a turn signal one and throw it in to see if that helped. I need a bunch of stupid tiny things like the metal silver rectangle that mounts the headlight. Also an exhaust mani from one of the LXIs...

This problem is really annoying though. Sometimes when I go on base to go to work the cops say something about it and it makes me cringe haha.

If it IS a bulb out.. it is going to be inside the dash thing with the speedos and tachs right? I like the green flasher so I will just pick one from the junkyard.

I think I might change the green speedometer and tach lights to red.. im going to try and find someone who already has tryed it or photoshop my own so I can get a basic idea of what it might look like.
no it's going to be a bulb on the car out, not the bulb in the dash, are you sure the switch for the hazards isn't pushed over or pinched, see if you switch the hazards on and off if it fixes it. this is more then likely to happen when you put the upper cover on. if you have the hazard switch halfway on and off the signals won't blink right. if you put the upper cover on wrong it can put pressure on the hazard switch and also cause this.

gp02a0083
09-09-2010, 09:31 AM
check the contacts on each turn signa bulb, as other members said if there's a light out you the indicator in the dash should turn on. Usually if the blinker is quicker than usual that means a bad bulb connection/ burnt out bulb.

otherwise its a relay, which could go bad but it doesn't sound like this is the problem.

Ayeobe
09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Check the bulbs. When a bulb burns it flashes faster, but sometimes it just gives up flashing all together. The Venture my father had did that.

Xaisk
09-09-2010, 01:35 PM
no it's going to be a bulb on the car out, not the bulb in the dash, are you sure the switch for the hazards isn't pushed over or pinched, see if you switch the hazards on and off if it fixes it. this is more then likely to happen when you put the upper cover on. if you have the hazard switch halfway on and off the signals won't blink right. if you put the upper cover on wrong it can put pressure on the hazard switch and also cause this.

Hm.. when I put the hazard lights on they both flash normally like they should.
I PROBALLY should have posted that in the original post but I didnt think about it :uh:

Maybe that might help to find the symptoms. Which bulb in the car would usually go out to cause this kind of issue?

lostforawhile
09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Hm.. when I put the hazard lights on they both flash normally like they should.
I PROBALLY should have posted that in the original post but I didnt think about it :uh:

Maybe that might help to find the symptoms. Which bulb in the car would usually go out to cause this kind of issue?

just one of the turn signal bulbs, check the front, and corner markers, and rear amber,see which one isn't blinking

Xaisk
09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
oh god I feel like a jack-A$$

Didnt realize the cars signal wouldnt flash if the bulb was out. Well thats easy fix. Rear left one was out. Thanks lost.

Oldblueaccord
09-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Heh well its fixed. Remember,troubleshooting; its simple stuff first then go on to hard options like pulling steering wheels etc.

wp

Xaisk
09-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Heh yeah I suppose. I pulled the bulb from a 3G while at the junkyard today and it works perfectly.

The turn signal still ticks at double speed for some reason?

But I got my inspection sticker so im good.