PDA

View Full Version : Windshield wiper fuse keeps blowing

Jajle
09-10-2010, 06:30 PM
So, the guy who had the car before me did some really weird wiring, he hooked up the cooling fan to a switch on the dash, so I keep it on constantly because I used to forget about it. He also wired up some fog lights, but those aren't wired anymore.

Anyways, here's my problem. The windshield wiper 20a fuse under the dash keeps blowing. Every time it blows out my windshield wipers quit working, along with my power windows and cigarette lighter. There's also a wire that has been shoved in the slot with the fuse, I'm kind of confused as to what this wire is, my dad says it's the cooling fan but my cooling fans still work while the fuse has been blown. This fuse blows like every other day and I've just been putting new ones in it, but that's starting to get costly and dumb. I'm going to try and trace the white wire tomorrow after a wedding and see if I can't get some info on what that is.

Oldblueaccord
09-11-2010, 03:52 PM
A fuse blows because there is to much current(amps) going threw the circuit. The fuse is there to protect the wire from to much amps and the wire failing (melting)

I would first pull that jenky wire off and tie it up somewhere its most likely the problem. Second I would look at whats if anything is tied to the cig lighter. Alot shmoes like to add in stuf to this wire because it on all the time without the key on and its easy to get to. The lighter it self may be the cause of the problem.

wp

Jajle
09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to fool with the wire and see what it does, I'm pretty sure the cigarette lighter is the problem. I haven't used it since I posted this and my fuse hasn't gone out. And when I first put the cigarette lighter in there and started using it, that's when my problem started.

Thank you.

1987AccordLx-i
09-12-2010, 09:07 PM
strongly suggest looking at the cig lighter... mine kept blowing then i made the genius idea of putting a higher amp fuse and the back of my cig lighter caught fire while i had the car running (thank god i was parked) no major damage but i noticed the cig lighter wire was arching and thats what caused the fire

itzdave
09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
strongly suggest looking at the cig lighter... mine kept blowing then i made the genius idea of putting a higher amp fuse and the back of my cig lighter caught fire while i had the car running (thank god i was parked) no major damage but i noticed the cig lighter wire was arching and thats what caused the fire

damn! good thing u werent away from ur car!