PDA

View Full Version : Water pump r&r

kentwat
09-13-2010, 07:10 AM
A couple of months after I bought my Accord I started hearing rattling and then water started to leak. I ended up sticking thermostat and blowing radiator in the process. I replaced all cooling parts and know approx 30k miles my damn water pump is back to sounding like marbles. I didn't do the timing belt at that time but I will this time. I'm also going to buy a honda water pump this time too.

btw..In another post someone stated this rattle could be due to excessive timing from worn belt. Tonight I'm going to check the timing for chits and giggles. I'm unsure of miles on timing belt. I've had the car for 40k. It looked like new when I did the pump last time. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks Kent.

car6289
09-13-2010, 07:45 AM
I just checked back in my receipt pile for my 89. I replaced my water pump (Honda OEM) in March of 2005. By my math that was 180,000 kms (111,000 miles) ago. It funny now that I think about it, an aftermarket thermostat that I tried to install in my old (RIP) 87 3G that didn't fit properly, led me to buying only Honda parts. They may cost more but they fit properly and do seem to last longer than the aftermarket parts do. I'm sure there are some exceptions to this though.

As for the timing belt, the debate rages on as to their longevity. I now change mine at approx. 100,000 kms (62,000 miles). I did run one timing belt to over 130,000 kms (80,000 miles) and it looked as though it could have gone another 20,000 miles or so. I feel it's better to change it regularly than have the shoulda, coulda, didn't feeling while broken down on the side of the road.

nswst8
09-13-2010, 08:21 AM
Better to swap a belt that you are unsure of, than to risk it and let it strand you in the middle of nowhere, USA

kentwat
09-24-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm planning on ordering parts this afternoon. Timing belt included. Parts I was going to order timing belt, waterpump & gasket. I hope the valve cover gasket will come off cleanly since it has only been on a few months. The vc gasket was the best fix since I can no longer smell oil when I turn the ac to fresh. I going to order from this place.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

MessyHonda
09-26-2010, 12:32 AM
dont forget to get the tensioner, cam seal and front crank seal

Dr_Snooz
09-26-2010, 10:52 AM
^^^ what he said. The tensioner will make noise when it's tired too.

lostforawhile
09-26-2010, 11:04 AM
don't waste the extra money on the belt and tensioner from Honda, they use gates now, even the factory belt off of the 98 said both Honda and gates, you can get a gates kit with tensioner from Nappa for less then the dealer and it's the same as factory

kentwat
12-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Waited too long. I can't believe the pulley broke off??

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/kwat2008/IMG_1562.jpg

lostforawhile
12-21-2010, 02:03 PM
what the ......................?

car6289
12-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Water pump r&r has become water pump r&r and pulley replacement.

I concur with Lost, "What the........................?"

kentwat
12-21-2010, 04:42 PM
The bearings got to be to noisy, so I parked it. A neighbor needed jumping off and it was loud. I pulled over there and I hear caching and bat light comes on. I go home and that is what I found. I looked at it before and pulley was running even just noisy. I can still spin the water pump but I can feel the bearings. I'm going to PAP tomorrow for a new pulley and survey the amount of tension when spinning the water pump. On a SBC it spins real free. But the Honda ones I've spun have had a tighter bearing.

car6289
12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
My water pump spins very freely and easily with little or negligible bearing drag. There is definitely no noise associated with pump rotation. I suppose with pump seizure something has to give, pump seizure not being the case here, the answer as to why your pulley disintegrated remains a mystery.

Dr_Snooz
12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Make sure you tighten the pulley bolts when you put the new one on. If you don't, they will back off and let the pulley wobble. Entropy will handle the rest.

88Accord-DX
12-25-2010, 05:46 PM
That pulley broke off from a combination of 2 things going on. The water pump looks to have been replaced & who ever done it, used a cheap water pump & the bearings started to lock up & then someone used a pry bar between the block & pulley to remove the pulley bolts, which weakened the pulley.

kentwat
12-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Well the pulley was from the jy because when I swapped the first one out I did f'it up. After pulling the pump I went to get another pulley and I also got a pump too. I compared them both & I'm wondering if the pulley was cracked making the noise? I couldn't see any oddities when I looked at it before but who knows. I swapped out the pump and pulley today and it runs like a champ. It's quiet as ever. Back to 30 mpg. Cool.