PDA

View Full Version : 87 Exi: where is temp gauge sending unit located?

wolgerine
09-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Just changed the thermostat few days ago, yet the car still overheats. The gauge just goes from middle to the red zone instantly. Isn't it suppose to overheat gradually, not just hit the red zone instantly? Sometimes it'll come down to the middle and then shoot back up again after a while, very random.

So is it really overheating or is it just a faulty sensor/gauge? Many times I've just kept driving with the temp gauge stuck in the red zone, and nothing bad ever happened.

I tried looking for the temp gauge sending unit, but can't find it. I got the pdf manual which states the unit is near the thermostat housing, but the socket for the temp gauge sending unit is empty on my car. The manual does describe something called the TW sensor, which is present in my car. So I'm curious, does the gauge get the readings from the TW sensor?

Civic Accord Honda
09-14-2010, 12:20 AM
its the little one with 1 wire on it, located on thermostat housing. try getting an after-market gauge if you want they can be had for about $10, i did that to my old metro due to a failed gauge (never left the H lol even when car was off)

gp02a0083
09-14-2010, 03:08 AM
i think the sensor is over o the passenger side near the bleed port for the coolant

charliekuney
09-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Is the car actually overheating, or is the gauge just lying?

InAccordance
09-14-2010, 07:45 AM
mine does the same exact thing, shoots past redline for a while and if i smack the cluster it knocks it back down. It's never overheated and doesnt leak a drop of coolant... other fluids, yes... BUT NO COOLANT!! :rofl:
bad gauge or sending unit.

wolgerine
09-14-2010, 11:33 PM
There is no temp gauge sending unit in my car, at least not in the location that the pdf manual states it should be. The socket is empty, there are threads to put one in. Could the gauge be getting the readings from the TW sensor?

I wish I could post a section from the pdf manual, but the forum won't let me post links until I've made 5 posts.

Oldblueaccord
09-15-2010, 06:35 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52801

Post #8 has the picture. Its the single wire sender with the rubber boot over the wire. its probably a bad connection right there.

If it is hitting the red temp mark you will be able to here water banging around inside the block and hoses. The top hose you can feel it and the water boiling inside. My T-stat hung early this year.

wp

wolgerine
09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
http://www.myimagehosting.com/17923ntvrN-125178.thumb (http://www.myimagehosting.com/show-17923ntvrN-125178.html)

Okay is it where the black hose connects(yellow arrow)? Is that the sensor?

What about the empty socket(red arrow), does anything go there? The pdf manual states that's where the sensor should be.

car6289
09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
The picture in Post #8 has three temp switches/sending units. The #2 circled is for the gauge (the one you are looking for), the green connector is for Thermoswitch A for the cooling fan and the beige connector is TW sensor for PGM-FI.