PDA

View Full Version : brake booster check valve - low idle

pink_sleeve
09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Where exactly is the brake booster check valve located on an 89 Accord 2 door DX coupe. I am having a low idle problem when hitting the brakes. It idles at 500 or less and will completely stall sometimes while on the brakes. I have tried reading alot of the threads and thought i'd try to clean it and see if that helped.

Bluntman
09-15-2010, 12:02 PM
It is #6 to give you an idea of its location.http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+DX&catcgry4=KL4AT&catcgry5=MASTER+POWER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List+All&prdrefno=&quantity=0&act=&count=0&hidSwitch=&hidIrno=

pink_sleeve
09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Thank you. When it is removed do you have to rebleed the brake system?

car6289
09-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Thank you. When it is removed do you have to rebleed the brake system?

No, bleeding is not required. The check valve is in the vacuum (air) system for the brake booster that gives you what are referred to as power brakes. There is not and should never be brake fluid in this vacuum hose containing the check valve you are removing.

pink_sleeve
09-15-2010, 12:58 PM
No, bleeding is not required. The check valve is in the vacuum (air) system for the brake booster that gives you what are referred to as power brakes. There is not and should never be brake fluid in this vacuum hose containing the check valve you are removing.

Am i correct in saying it's around an inch in diameter and clipped to the upper firewall above the master cylinder? The hose to it comes directly out of the master cylinder correct?

pink_sleeve
09-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Ok i have it out of the car.... Should i be able to blow through it easlily or should there be resistance? What do you clean it with?

Oldblueaccord
09-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Check valves allow flow one way only. I think there is an arrow on the plastic valve. So in one direction you should be able to blow threw it and the other it should be checked off no flow.

wp

car6289
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Correct hose. It actually is connected to the brake booster (round black thing) not the master cylinder. Pull the hose off the booster with the engine running at idle. There should be vacuum available at the end of the hose. Your idle might drop because you have just created a vacuum leak by performing the check valve test. If there is no vacuum available the check valve is stuck closed. If you have vacuum available the check valve is good. Your idle speed reduction with brake pedal application could be from an internal vacuum leak within the brake booster itself.

pink_sleeve
09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Check valves allow flow one way only. I think there is an arrow on the plastic valve. So in one direction you should be able to blow threw it and the other it should be checked off no flow.

wp

I can blow through it. But it has quite a bit of resistance...

pink_sleeve
09-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Thank you guys for the help. I ended up running some seafoam through the tank for now and it seems to run better now then when i first got it lol... It's idling right around 800ish rpm where a week ago it was idling around 1000 rpm. But yesterday it was acting up and only idling around 300 and under and even stalling : (