PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable adjustment?

SLCPUNK
10-10-2002, 01:21 AM
HI. I have a manual 1986 Accord with 213k on the clock. Clutch seems to work fine most of the time. However after driving sometimes it won't come out of first gear or reverse. I'll depress the clutch peddle and it won't let me switch into second or out of Reverse. If I keep going a bit in first for example, it will let me shift, same with reverse. This happens every now and then, seems to be after it's warmed up . Doesn't slip. Is this a cable adjustment I'm looking at? Or something else? I want to get started working on it today, but I'm not sure where to start. Thanks in advance.
SLC PUNK

Immeraufdemhund
10-10-2002, 07:55 AM
my only guess would be that your cable is not set up right. look for a cable that goes into your transmission. You should be able to turn something in there with your hand. (this is what the honda guy told me) turn it one way if the engine disengages wrong and gets worse turn it the other way. I forget exactly what it looks like, but if i were to look i'm sure i could find it again.

Grant2k
10-10-2002, 08:13 AM
the adjustment for the clutch cable is under the car. if you jack it up and you are looking at it from underneath so that the transmission is on your right, you will see an arm with a rubber stopper on the bottom. that is the end of your clutch cable. you adjust it there.
and SLCPunk, did you actually like that movie?

89AccordNate
10-10-2002, 08:20 AM
The clutch adjustment isnt on the bottom of the car, and the car doesnt have to be jacked up. You can reach it from the the top of your car. Its on the left side of the motor right below all of the radiator hoses. Look down and you will see what looks like a nut attached to a wire. Pull up on the nut and then screw it in and screw it out. When you drop the nut it will hold the nut and saves that position. Just keep doing that until you get it how you like it. It might just be loose.

Nate.

Dutchboy
10-10-2002, 08:28 AM
it says to have like 6mm of play at the end of the release arm...

Every once and a while youll probably have to adjust the clutch since it wears and doesnt self adjust.....

BEn

SLCPUNK
10-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Wow tons of responses, thanks alot. I bought (Well it was actually gien to me, it needs work-engine is stong though) the car to fix up and drive for the winter. It's got a few more issues, but I understood them. I'm just glad I don't have to change a clutch here!

I liked the movie SLC punk alright. I live in Salt Lake City, and I like to think I'm my own man thus the handle. It is gorgeous and I am able to drive so many places in about six hours so it's a good gateway city. But the church/state thing is disturbing.

Thanks for you help guys, I'll be adjusting that today then. Great website too.

Grant2k
10-10-2002, 10:40 AM
thanks nate. i didn't know that you could do from the top becasue i never tried. i was just saying what i knew. but i just see it every time i change my oil so i always think of it as being under the car.

and good for you SLCPunk if you liked the movie. you sounded a little hostile.

SLCPUNK
10-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Hostile how? I said I liked the movie ok. I just thought the handle was funny. Hostile???

Grant2k
10-10-2002, 11:41 AM
whatever. sorry, let's drop it.

anchovies
10-10-2002, 11:47 AM
Yeah adjust the cable 1st.
But I had the same problem as you describe and it's the clutch + bearing.
good luck

SLCPUNK
10-10-2002, 06:18 PM
I adjusted the cable and the problem went away. But then it got stuck in reverse again. If I keep going back eventually it comes out. I'll re-adjust tomorrow and see what happens. Idle went way down after I did it too. I don't know if they are connected in anyway, but I swear the idle is lower now. Weird.

I'll see. Thanks all for the help.

anchovies
10-11-2002, 11:07 AM
Sounds alot like mine
I drove like that for a few months then the clutch slipped