PDA

View Full Version : stupid motherfucking God damned driver's side window

charliekuney
09-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Okay, LX-i coupé, power windows. Passenger window goes up and down fast with both switches, and the main successfully locks the passenger window on both switches.

Now, for the driver's side window that's driving me insane. It goes up and down fast (normal speed, unlike most of these cars). It goes down with the switch, and the auto works just find.

Here's the fucked up part.

Going up.

Sometimes, it goes right up. No problem. End of story.

Sometimes, it takes fifty fucking thousand tries before it decides to go up, and it will only go halfway before stopping. Then I have to try again. Goes almost all the way to the seal with about half an inch left. Try again. Window is successfully up.

It can't be the motor, it's fast up and down and always goes down.
It can't be the relay or whatever in the door, because it clicks no matter which way I flip the switch (both windows are good).

Before I take the hassle of removing my door panel to swap/fix the switch, what else could it be or should I look for?

:wave:

A18A
09-16-2010, 07:07 PM
does it make a clunking sound or slipping sound when failing? My accord used to do that & what you described. I replaced the window regulator & it was all good after that. seen quite a few accords with this same problem

charliekuney
09-16-2010, 08:05 PM
It makes the sound of a relay, but hollow. Got the door panel out, swapped the switch, still nothing. The box inside the door seems fine...

2drSE-i
09-16-2010, 08:08 PM
The box inside my door took a shit this year. Just decided not to work anymore. Does it make a clunk sound at all?

nfs480
09-17-2010, 01:48 PM
When my driver window quit working it turned out to be the power window control module under the passenger seat.

2oodoor
09-17-2010, 01:54 PM
control mod in drivers door could be the culprit, but so could another switch not the one to the window you are trying to operate.
and the title will follow you for eternity I hope youre ready :squint:

2drSE-i
09-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Dark

charliekuney
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
control mod in drivers door could be the culprit, but so could another switch not the one to the window you are trying to operate.

I think $20 is a bit much at the local yard. It makes a hollow click, rather than the solid click when going down, and it doesn't draw from the battery when trying to go up.

I don't believe in God, by the way, so I feel rather unaffected.

mykwikcoupe
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
he doesnt believe but he still spelt it correctly. I want to see his room and move one item exactly .50 of one inch to the left and see if he notices. He seems like the guy who could

Xaisk
09-17-2010, 06:01 PM
In our 99 Civic we had the same issue. We solved it useing silicone lubricant spray on the window tracks. Just make sure its silicone because it is waterproof.

2drSE-i
09-17-2010, 06:24 PM
I think $20 is a bit much at the local yard. It makes a hollow click, rather than the solid click when going down, and it doesn't draw from the battery when trying to go up.

I don't believe in God, by the way, so I feel rather unaffected.

Something I've never understood about people. If you don't believe in god why do you ask him to damn things? Not picking on you in particular I just think its odd.

Dr_Snooz
09-17-2010, 07:56 PM
I vote for the window regulator too. Try lubing things up real good first. Oil all the pivots, grease the gears and hit the felt guides with silicone spray like Xaisk said. If that doesn't work, replace the regulator like A18A said.

charliekuney
09-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Is the regulator the box in the door or the one under the passenger seat?

2drSE-i
09-18-2010, 09:20 AM
The regulator is the big metal contraption the motor is attached to

charliekuney
09-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Ooooooooooooooooooh.

I have no idea what I'm dealing with. The thing that confuses me is the fact that the window ALWAYS goes down, and when it does go up, it's really fast.

Civic Accord Honda
09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
sounds like a control box... my 3g the rear window would go down super fast too at that... but never go back up... unless u hot wired the motor lol, was just the control boxs but i never botherd to fix it i just jimmi riggied a wire running from the battery to the window with a toggle switch becuase the car wasnt worth a $5 box LOL, i then converted to manual windows becuase i am a boss.

and lol at thread title

2oodoor
09-18-2010, 12:17 PM
k all rather contradictory but :devil::blah:

Charles in charge if your window goes up quickley then you have a good one sir... we should all be so lucky so it must be a contact or connection issue if logic applies.

charliekuney
09-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm going to go to the junkyard with the door panel off* and passenger seat removed so I can "test" to see if one of the boxes is the problem.

*Okay, so, I had a hard time putting my door panel back on. Tried leaving the silver strip on there, didn't work. Took it off to put the panel on. Now, there's a huge gap between the top of the panel and the silver strip. How does the strip fit on the door? Does it go into the metal clips?

Civic Accord Honda
09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
that strip sucks assssssssssss!!!! good luck i spent like 30 minutes getting the pos back on lol dont remember how to now though

2oodoor
09-18-2010, 05:05 PM
make sure the clips are all streight, they clinch the metal, just put some vaseline on the metal where the clips fit and heh pray they slide under so it all fits at once.

charliekuney
09-18-2010, 06:14 PM
If one side of the metal clip (there are three "hands": one wide in the middle, two skinny on each side) is on the felt side of the silver strip, won't the metal scratch the window?

charliekuney
09-21-2010, 02:48 PM
It was the box in the driver's door. :)

Dr_Snooz
09-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Nice work!