PDA

View Full Version : LEDs not working in bumper

wh1skea
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Title says it all. Bought some amber 1156 LEDs to replace the bumper turn signal bulbs, but they don't seem to work. The LEDs work when hard wired to the battery, but not while in the bulb socket. Anyone have any idea whats going on, how to fix it? I'm making some clear lenses out of lexan and would really like to be able to us LEDs.

wh1skea
09-19-2010, 10:12 AM
I figured it out. Found out that the LEDs had a definite positive and negative. That meant that I had to switch the wires out in the plug. If anyone that doesn't know how to do this without cutting the wires, I'd be more than happy to do a write-up with pictures.

mykwikcoupe
09-19-2010, 01:42 PM
in previous posts the leds are less internal resistance then a standard bulb, this makes the car think a bulb is burnt out and shows a light out indicator on the gauge display. Did you find out the same or have they made the leds with better design?

lostforawhile
09-19-2010, 01:55 PM
in previous posts the leds are less internal resistance then a standard bulb, this makes the car think a bulb is burnt out and shows a light out indicator on the gauge display. Did you find out the same or have they made the leds with better design?
the bumper turn signals aren't connected to the bulb out indicator, they might not flash though, the solution to that is to get a replacement electronic flasher to replace your standard flasher, they don't care about load.

wh1skea
09-19-2010, 07:52 PM
I did have a problem with the turn signals flashing fast because of the LED. I've ordered some load resistors to help with that though. I might buy one of those electronic flashers though, and just put the load resistors in my tool box.

STITCHES
11-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I did have a problem with the turn signals flashing fast because of the LED. I've ordered some load resistors to help with that though. I might buy one of those electronic flashers though, and just put the load resistors in my tool box.

I bought a LED flasher from superbrightleds.com and also replaced all of my rear brake bulbs & turn signals with LEDs and the bulb indicator in the dash still lights up. So the resisters may be your only choice.

Also putting in the LED flasher was a bitch. It was too big for the stock placement and I had to break the plastic and file one side of it for proper fitment.

wh1skea
11-26-2010, 05:15 PM
I bought a Grotes LED flasher (part # 44892). It fit just fine and works great for my flashers.