PDA

View Full Version : SwayBar to Frame connection issue

mnmsddy
09-18-2010, 10:51 PM
As an intro, I am the original owner of a 89 Accord Coupe.. Car has about 193K on it, The only major replacement part was a clutch and a steering rack.

I lowered the car with a Jackson Racing Mullholland kit back in late 1989.
Kit was front and rear sways, tokico shocks and springs. The set up is great, and I can hammer the mountain roads.

I had an issue about 6 years ago where the left side front frame mount for the sway bar ripped out, I had the hole tapped a bit bigger, larger bolt, and fixed..

About two weeks ago, when I was having the rack replaced, the mech called me out to look at the sway mount... Its torn out again, this time with a big hole..

Sorry long story, anyways any one have a solution, I am thinking maybe welding up a sleeve, that would wrap three sides of the frame rail, cross bolt it in place and drill and tap for mounting holes again.. Is there a better way to fix this, has anyone had the same problem?

Dr_Snooz
09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Pics of the damage would be good. How did this happen? How did it happen again? What's the mechanic telling you to do?

ACE_14
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd like to see pics of that Jackson Racing Mullholland kit.

2drSE-i
09-19-2010, 09:43 PM

No kidding. As for your problem, i m not sure what the problem is, pictures would be great!

stat1K
09-20-2010, 06:50 AM
I've never once seen a sway bar mount tear out on the front, i've seen broken brackets in the rear on a lot of civics and integras but as far as i could tell that was from impact in the rear end on most of those cars.

now on the front are you talking about the U clamps that connect to the subframe? that's the only piece i could see ripping out. I would assume that the bar is pretty stiff right? I wouldn't think there would be enough movement at that point to cause what you're talking about unless the original bolt before you fixed it the first time was either left loose or threaded incorrectly. Is rust involved?

I think like most of the others have said, pictures will let us help further.

First thought from me is get a new crossmember and go from there. Do you have any specs on the swaybar?

mnmsddy
09-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi All, Sorry it took so long to get back on, work has been pure hell this week... I will try to capture a picture this weekend and repost, stat1k, you are correct it is the u clamp, I don't believe it has been drug across anything, the car usually does not scrape many places... No rust that I can see as this car is garaged and has been a California car most of its life..Not sure when it happened, this has been my wifes daily since new, I just inherited it from her as she got a new Miata.

mnmsddy
09-22-2010, 07:17 AM
Pics of the damage would be good. How did this happen? How did it happen again? What's the mechanic telling you to do?

Dr. Snooz, the mech is saying take it to a custom suspension shop, problem is I don't know of a good one, and he had no recommendations... most of the places here won't even talk to me cause the car is so old... they just want to throw cheap coilovers on it and slam it... :eek:

mnmsddy
09-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Ace, you have most of the kit, it was tokico struts, ST sways, and a spring ( not usre who's, I think Jackson Racing just kitted it all as one order #.

Oldblueaccord
09-24-2010, 06:53 AM
http://img213.imageshack.us/i/frntswaybar2nl8.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6920/frntswaybar2nl8.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/i/frntswaybar2nl8.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

So the bracket that bolts to the frame is torn? Prolly rewelding the area is about the only thing you can do since the hole is to big or damaged for an insert or a heilcoil.

Very neat piece of history that suspension kit is for you car.

wp

AccordEpicenter
09-24-2010, 01:52 PM
i would just weld a stud into the rear beam and then fasten the sway bar clip with a nut and washer