PDA

View Full Version : AC will not turn on

richduck
09-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Searched for this but nothing came close to what I have going on. Replaced Comp, expansion valve, flushed and filled system with 134 last year. Worked great for a few weeks then just stopped working. Found a blown sub fan fuse, replaced the fuse and it worked for a couple more weeks. Now the system will not turn on at all. I have replaced the relay and the diode, AC switch light comes on so I'm guessing the switch is working. The cooling fan does not start and the idle no longer increases when switching the AC on either. I have checked the pressure switch and the system is holding freon just fine. Compressor does engaged when wired direct. What else am I missing?

88 LXi auto completely stock, all other electrical works.

stephensimmons
09-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Searched for this but nothing came close to what I have going on. Replaced Comp, expansion valve, flushed and filled system with 134 last year. Worked great for a few weeks then just stopped working. Found a blown sub fan fuse, replaced the fuse and it worked for a couple more weeks. Now the system will not turn on at all. I have replaced the relay and the diode, AC switch light comes on so I'm guessing the switch is working. The cooling fan does not start and the idle no longer increases when switching the AC on either. I have checked the pressure switch and the system is holding freon just fine. Compressor does engaged when wired direct. What else am I missing?

88 LXi auto completely stock, all other electrical works.

If the relay under the hood is good then check to make sure you have power to it. then try jumping the pressure switch. If none of that works then check all your connections! What year is it?

2drSE-i
09-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Fuse #5 inside the car, labeled rear defroster, supplies power to the ac system. I spent two weeks chasing electrical gremlins to find out this fuse was blown. Even posted a thread about it lol

nswst8
09-19-2010, 07:53 AM
But you have to trace what cause the fuse to blow if in fact it is blown.

2drSE-i
09-19-2010, 08:08 AM
But you have to trace what cause the fuse to blow if in fact it is blown.

Or just the fact that its a 20 year old fuse at this point

nswst8
09-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Or just the fact that its a 20 year old fuse at this point

I'd still trace the lines.

richduck
09-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Checked the fuse and all is good. I'm thinking maybe it is time to pull the switch and check that. Is there an easy way to do that?

charliekuney
09-19-2010, 02:36 PM
^ You mean pull the strip of buttons from the climate control? 'Tis a bitch. Well, time-consuming.

richduck
09-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I figured it was time consuming which is why I was asking if anyone else had some ideas before I did it. I hate taking things apart for no reason, especially when they are a pain. Won't need the air for more than 2-3 more weeks at the most but I hate it when something doesn't work right!

Pnem3
09-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Have you checked the switch underneath the dash at the evaporator? Just throwing it out there.

charliekuney
09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah, to get that strip out, the damn gauges need to come out and everything. It's easy to get out, the problem is the center vents on LX/LX-i/SE-i's.

richduck
09-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Have you checked the switch underneath the dash at the evaporator? Just throwing it out there.

Not yet but it is now on the list. Was hoping for something easier to check.

2drSE-i
09-20-2010, 07:28 AM
That ones not TOO bad. If you've replaced the expansion valve you will love this job. The glovebox has to come out, but that stupid black box with retarded C clips can stay in.