PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak?

pink_sleeve
09-20-2010, 09:55 PM
I stole this pic from another thread. Sorry... Is the hardline i outlined in green a coolant line of any type? It mounts/threads into right behind the header i think. I am getting all kinds of fluid on the pipe, lower motor mount, and header... It seems like it is leaker coolant somewhere around or behind the header and i am thinking there should even be coolant in this area at all. It the freeze plug in this area? Any ideas?

http://img227.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img227/4329/85371369m.jpg

pink_sleeve
09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
And i'm not refering to line 2 or 7 like in this diagram. There is anothe hardline tube running in the same area but it looks as if it threads in behind the header into something?

http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+DX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=EXHAUST+MANIFOLD&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=Engine

turabaka
09-20-2010, 10:29 PM
The only other hard line that threads in near the exhaust manifold is the EGR pipe. None of those three lines should have any coolant in them at all.

pink_sleeve
09-20-2010, 10:34 PM
The only other hard line that threads in near the exhaust manifold is the EGR pipe. None of those three lines should have any coolant in them at all.

If none of the 3 lines carry coolant what could the leak be coming from in this area?

turabaka
09-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Possibly from the headgasket, a freezeplug, or one of the coolant lines on the side of the head is dripping back into that area. There are two freeze plugs on the front of the block, one on the side, and I believe one on the back. I'd check those, and then check the coolant line on the side of the head, and if it's none of those I'd check the headgasket.

pink_sleeve
09-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Possibly from the headgasket, a freezeplug, or one of the coolant lines on the side of the head is dripping back into that area. There are two freeze plugs on the front of the block, one on the side, and I believe one on the back. I'd check those, and then check the coolant line on the side of the head, and if it's none of those I'd check the headgasket.

Can a head gasket leak leave a puddle under the car? If the car is on and running the leak is not as bad as when you shut it off after it is up to temp.

pink_sleeve
09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Also where do you get freeze plugs if it is that?

turabaka
09-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Anything's possible. Like I said. I'd check the other two things before you worry about the headgasket. More than likely it's just an old coolant line that's leaking a bit.

turabaka
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Any autoparts store should have them. Autozone, Schucks, Napa, etc. They'll be able to look up what size you need.

pink_sleeve
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Anything's possible. Like I said. I'd check the other two things before you worry about the headgasket. More than likely it's just an old coolant line that's leaking a bit.

I will look at it better tomorrow afternoon and try to take some pics...

turabaka
09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Cool. Yeah pics might help a bit in locating that leak.

pink_sleeve
09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Cool. Yeah pics might help a bit in locating that leak.

And show off how neglected the engine has been. I think every gasket possible leaks oil : ( I just bought it about a month ago. I plan on replacing as many of the gaskets as i can. Valve cover, oil pan, front main seal, oil pump seal, oil filter base mount seal... I just don't know which ones i can get to and how long they should take to replace since it is currently a daily driver.