PDA

View Full Version : Removing alternator

youceffhasacar
09-20-2010, 11:22 PM
I detached the alternator without removing the axle and now I can't get it out. It is just too tight and I can't seem to make a path through all the clutter from the carb. Any suggestions? Have you guys covered this in another thread?
I appreciate all the help you can give
thanks

integratuner77
09-21-2010, 05:44 AM
I had to remove the axle when I replaced my alternator. That is the only way I could find to actually get it out.

carotman
09-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Just route it to the back of the engine and pass it between the heater hoses. You will need to remove the air cleaner to make some room.

youceffhasacar
09-21-2010, 02:24 PM
can you be more specific with how to pass it through the heater hoses? I can't seem to get it through there. It just locks up and i feel that if i pull too hard i will rip a vacuum or heater hose.. I must say that I still have the pulley on the alternator which adds to its size. I read one of the guides on here and it didn't mention that the pulley had to be removed, I probably shouldve done it but I figured there was a way to get it out without removing it. To be honest i doubt that it'll come out even with the pulley off. Are there any nuts or screw that need to be removed to make more room other than the (already removed) air cover?
If removing the axle is the only way, can you direct me to a thread that explains how to do that?
thanks

import racer
09-21-2010, 04:55 PM
You just have to take your time and don't force it.When i did mine i took the bolt out that holds the heater valve to give me extra room.You have to turn it as you work it behind the motor,it can be done with a little patience.

InAccordance
09-21-2010, 07:46 PM
unbolt the motor mount on the drivers side, take a big long pipe, crowbar, w.e and wedge the motor up a bit.... not too much, dont want to break anything, just enough and it'll slide right out
worked for me :thumbup:
oh and remove the alt adjustment bracket, it gets in the way. dont forget to put it back though =D

youceffhasacar
09-21-2010, 11:13 PM
OK I weaved it through the heater hoses and turned it around and it finally came out. This was probably the toughest wresting match i've had with my 3g so far but i'm elated with the win
Also heres to the most glorious picture i've ever taken
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww100/yunquekabal/winningthealternatorfight001.jpg

thanks alot for the help guys, i really appreciate it
I wish installation wasn't the reverse of removal though..