PDA

View Full Version : Hvac

Francos Accord
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
I want to take the air box apart to clean it out, but i cant figure out how the hell to get it apart. This is as far as i got...
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc246/Mikenstein906/0557fbda.jpg

I took the glove box off, along with the metal bar on the bottom, and the clips holding the air box together, but it wont come apart. How do i get it apart?

2drSE-i
09-21-2010, 11:39 AM
There are more clips in the back. Thats all that holds them together though. Its a BITCH isnt it?

Francos Accord
09-21-2010, 12:30 PM
I got the 3 that are visible in the picture. Where in the back, on the bottom, or on the part of the back that is up against the fire wall? How the hell am i suppose to get back there to undo the rest of them?

2drSE-i
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
O ok your still missing a few. There are two on each side, three in the front and two or three in the back against the firewall. You can get them with a short flat tipped screwdriver, a lot of cussing, contorting and more cussing. Needless to say mine went back together with the three up front and the side ones.

I dunno how you are getting them off, but if you stick a flat tip screw driver behind the clip and twist, it will pop right off

Francos Accord
09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
The 2 that are on the side, can i get to them without having to take the side of the dash off? Im hoping that if i get the 2 side ones, ill be able to bend it just enough to get in there and clean it. Why does everything on this car have to be overly complicated? newer hondas are so much easier. I did the same thing I'm trying to do on my 3 gee to my fathers 09 CR-V and it took me 10 minutes from start to finish with no problems or hidden clips or any of that shit...

Dr_Snooz
09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
You're doing it the hard way. There are three bolts that mount the whole big black box blower assembly to the dash. One is at the bottom and the other two are at the top. Should be 2 10mm bolts that come out easy as pie. Take the unit out and then you can take it apart.

I assume you're trying to get the blower out and not the evaporator. But the evaporator is mounted the same way.

Xaisk
09-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Ive taken that thing apart like 5 times when I redid my A/C I can get it off in 3 minutes.

1. Remove Bottom plastic cover
2. Remove the screws holding the metal bar.
3. Remove the glove box. (should just pull off after you open it from the latch)
4. Remove the 3 bolts holding it on like Dr_snooz said.
5. You can pull it out now.
6. When you get it off, there are little metal latchs holding it off. Just pry them off with a flathead screwdriver, and hide your face. If you do it like I did they went flying haha.

If you want to pull the evaporator off you have to drain the system and pull it through the firewall.

Install is reverse.

Francos Accord
09-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Thank you, all i want to do is open the blower box to clean it out. the 3 bolts should be alot easier to do than all the clips. Ill try it out and let you know what happens.

Xaisk
09-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Unbolting it will just free it from your car. When you pull it out of your car the casing around it has the metal clips you have to take off. They are easy to get off and on just protect your eyes.

You can clean it without taking them off I suppose but it wouldnt be as easy as just taking the clips off and putting them back on after done.

2drSE-i
09-22-2010, 08:33 AM
You're doing it the hard way. There are three bolts that mount the whole big black box blower assembly to the dash. One is at the bottom and the other two are at the top. Should be 2 10mm bolts that come out easy as pie. Take the unit out and then you can take it apart.

I assume you're trying to get the blower out and not the evaporator. But the evaporator is mounted the same way.

and now i want to cuss some more........

labeledsk8r
09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
yeah i agree with snooz's way, thats the way i did it both times on my 3g, in the end its faster takeing the entire box out instead of tryingto fumble around poping those clips and then trying to re-atatch them again

Xaisk
09-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Yeah but when you get it off you have to take the metal clips to open the black plastic casing to clean the inside out. At least I did. Nice fresh clean air if only I could get the Denso belt adjusting bolt..

Francos Accord
09-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Yea, i just finished it. I did it Dr Snooz's way. Took me 3 minutes to take it down, When i looked inside i found what had to have been 15 or 20 subway napkins jammed in there. I guess they were in the glove box and they got sucked into the box? Must have happened with the pervious owner, i never keep napkins in the glove box. Anyways i cleaned it out, and now the blower motor works again, and i have my hvac system back.

2drSE-i
09-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah but when you get it off you have to take the metal clips to open the black plastic casing to clean the inside out. At least I did. Nice fresh clean air if only I could get the Denso belt adjusting bolt..

Just slap some washers on the bracket bolts and manually tension it. Takes two people but you don't need the adjusting bolt.

Accordian88
09-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Subway napkins lol!:wtf:

Xaisk
09-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I found some old Journey cassettes back from the 80s in my air box haha. How the hell does this stuff get in there?