PDA

View Full Version : A stupid is as a stupid does

phrenology
09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Here's a stupid question, unless someone is a statistics major: If we were to line up (tail to nose) all of the 3rd Gen Accords that are still around and running today in N. America how far would that stretch? The distance of the Great Wall of China? The coast to coast width of the US? The Distance from Miami to Montreal??? Anyone wanna waste a lot of time trying to calculate an estimate? :dunno:

Or what percentage of the 3Gs left in N.America are owned by members???

-Yes I'm very bored, demented, obsessed and have way more important things to be thinking about and/or reading for school. :confused:

lostforawhile
09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
there seem to be a lot of beaters around, be careful lining them up, those beaters the bumpers might fall off

labeledsk8r
09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
theres really no way to get a true number as ALOT of 3geez still run but are not members. i know in my town alone atleast 5 other ones that run and drive but they just daily use them, i sure its about the same for any city

lostforawhile
09-21-2010, 11:43 PM
between here and Atlanta storage, i have one complete car going back together and probably another in spare parts , complete car is here, all the big spares are in Atlanta, do the parts count since i could probably build a car lol

A18A
09-22-2010, 12:05 AM
4.5 metres times however many accords there are left, divided by 1.609 = how many miles long it would be. over 9000 miles

phrenology
09-22-2010, 02:28 AM
4.5 metres times however many accords there are left, divided by 1.609 = how many miles long it would be. over 9000 miles

I think you have the right idea...I was thinking from a statistics point of view. You can't do it by counting bumpers, unless you're a really bored idiot savant on a road trip like Forest Gump or Rainman.

You would have to find the number of Accords manufactured in/for N. America for each year of production, there should be import records. Then multiply, come up with an estimate % of cars still on the road. I figure DMV or Federal regulators must have some estimates of vehicles from certain eras still around (for EPA standards) say 80's vehicles or 80's Hondas. An (inter)national car insurance survey or even a simple Honda dealership estimate based on vehicles still services by Honda, would give you a ballpark #. :dunno:

Anyway I hate math, but I thought someone on here could crunch some numbers if they cared. Maybe someone in a statistics class, Jonesin' for a research project...I dunno. Your prize would be a cookie, and some :koolaid: But you have to come here and get it...I only have that purple stuff from the Sunny D ad in my fridge and some half-eaten Double stuff Oreos. :eatarrow:

2oodoor
09-22-2010, 03:42 AM
zomg have you seen the half and half double stuff Oreos? gee double o so good:eatarrow: those and some XXX acia blueberry Vitawater and you may have a deal.. :bow:

This could be done but you would need to use only registered cars since that is the only concievably obtainable material to make a database of.

Keep in mind there are many many awesome 3rd gen Accords NOT ON THE WEB.
We surfers tend to think sometimes the whole world is in the WWW (could it be a lost translation of 666) It may be close sometimes but Ive seen some in my local travels that were not any member I know of anyway. Somebody is snagging parts off these things in the JY that's for sure.

2ndGenGuy
09-22-2010, 10:17 AM
All you'd need are the number of Accords currently registered in the country. All the crushed ones should be accounted for. Probably would have to go state-by-state though. I'm sure the info is publicly available, but not necessarily easily attainable.

phrenology
09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
All you'd need are the number of Accords currently registered in the country. All the crushed ones should be accounted for. Probably would have to go state-by-state though. I'm sure the info is publicly available, but not necessarily easily attainable.

Nobody said it would be an easy task. It would require research and statistical skills that I don't have. BTW I said 3rd Gen Accords that are still running. Everyday, actuaries crunch numbers for insurance companies based on statistical data to provide companies with guidelines for rates, policies, and risk. It would have to be compiled data and it would at best be an estimate.

The other way to do it would be to look at the manufacturing/import numbers and deduct the number of cars left based on an average expected life cycle for vehicles in different parts of N. America...factors like climate, rust, and road conditions would play a huge factor. Also average number of reported accidents in each state, where cars were totaled. We all know these cars can run forever if properly maintained, but that is not the most likely scenario.

Anyway this was meant to be a brain-picker for anyone with the skills and tenacity to take on such an Accord related project. :bow:

phrenology
09-22-2010, 11:11 AM
zomg have you seen the half and half double stuff Oreos? gee double o so good:eatarrow: those and some XXX acia blueberry Vitawater and you may have a deal.. :bow:

This could be done but you would need to use only registered cars since that is the only concievably obtainable material to make a database of.

Keep in mind there are many many awesome 3rd gen Accords NOT ON THE WEB.
We surfers tend to think sometimes the whole world is in the WWW (could it be a lost translation of 666) It may be close sometimes but Ive seen some in my local travels that were not any member I know of anyway. Somebody is snagging parts off these things in the JY that's for sure.

I would be so lucky to have Vitamin Water...not me, only the purple stuff. :(

Civic Accord Honda
09-22-2010, 12:33 PM
over 9000. :O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i see about 45 the last 4 times i went to junkyard lol

phrenology
09-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I got the calculator, you do the math?

Ayeobe
09-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Ok, try this then

average of 6 per city, x over 9000 citys + the country folk x4.5 devided by 1.609 = how many miles?

Ive seen probabily over 5 running ones in my city. An SE-i, 3 EX-is and 2 base models, then theres mine.. and thats only in my area. Call it an average of 6 per 15 miles radius, city, and 2 per 15 miles country?

Civic Accord Honda
09-24-2010, 11:52 PM
theres a few here.
probaly around 14 or so lol

ghettogeddy
09-24-2010, 11:57 PM
shit there are 5 running in a mile radus of my house lol i see new ones every week

lets do a easy statistic on how many members we have 12,250 and see how far that would be if each one had one car

ghettogeddy
09-24-2010, 11:59 PM
oh and these are your lengths btw
174.80 in. (hatchback)
179.70 in. (coupe & sedan)
a lil less then 15 feet each

so 15 x 12,250 / 5280 = 34.80 miles

phrenology
09-25-2010, 06:41 AM
oh and these are your lengths btw
174.80 in. (hatchback)
179.70 in. (coupe & sedan)
a lil less then 15 feet each

so 15 x 12,250 / 5280 = 34.80 miles
Need moar accords!!!

A18A
09-25-2010, 06:48 AM
thats long enough to make a complete circle around my whole city, bumper to bumper :) I'd love that

lostforawhile
09-25-2010, 07:34 AM
this thread was really started by stoned smurfs, ever wonder if they listen to Hendrix in those 60's looking giant mushrooms? http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1423/611510664_53041e98d9_o.jpg
and the accords go around and around and around mon!!

phrenology
09-25-2010, 07:34 AM
thats long enough to make a complete circle around my whole city, bumper to bumper :) I'd love that

At the next big CA meet we need to form a wagon train of Accords...find a small old western town and encircle it with our 3Gs. Heee Haw! :bandit:

phrenology
09-25-2010, 07:38 AM
this thread was really started by stoned smurfs, ever wonder if they listen to Hendrix in those 60's looking giant mushrooms? http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1423/611510664_53041e98d9_o.jpg

Hey dude...I ain't no hippy smurf, I hate smurfs...and hippies LOL...:flip:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/phrenology/gargamel.jpg

phrenology
09-25-2010, 07:41 AM
this thread was really started by stoned smurfs, ever wonder if they listen to Hendrix in those 60's looking giant mushrooms?

:flash: But I was drinking some fruit juice that might have gone bad while writing this thread. :flash:

lostforawhile
09-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey dude...I ain't no hippy smurf, I hate smurfs...and hippies LOL...:flip:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/phrenology/gargamel.jpg

that's a Rastafarian smurf, Bob Smurfley and the Mushroom Wailers

car6289
09-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Smurf Marley and the Inhalers. "Jammin" maan

I see at least 5 to 6 3G's every week around here. Some I've never seen before and some are repeats, repeats, repeats. That just out here in the Fraser Valley, if I venture in to Vancouver I see more different 3G's. They are very popular here. Our usual short winters combined with limited salt use have allowed these cars to last a long time.... until an owner that cares can take them farther in life than Honda ever intended or envisioned.

phrenology
09-25-2010, 05:38 PM
that's a Rastafarian smurf, Bob Smurfley and the Mushroom Wailers

Its okay cause Gargamel is a fascist anyway. Pretty weak locks for a Rastaman. I guess smurfs don't have the good hair gene.

phrenology
09-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Smurf Marley and the Inhalers. "Jammin" maan

I see at least 5 to 6 3G's every week around here. Some I've never seen before and some are repeats, repeats, repeats. That just out here in the Fraser Valley, if I venture in to Vancouver I see more different 3G's. They are very popular here. Our usual short winters combined with limited salt use have allowed these cars to last a long time.... until an owner that cares can take them farther in life than Honda ever intended or envisioned.

You even go watch the Heat??? They're the farm team for the Flames, aye?

car6289
09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Every time I thought of taking in a Heat game last season, it was a work night. I work only night shift (12 hr) on purpose for commuting against the grain. I was just thinking about taking in a few games this season, at least trying to take in a few games this season, as I was driving home from Chilliwack an hour ago. A billboard must have caught my attention. Yes they are Calgary Flames farm team. Spotted two more, new ones, not repeat, 3G's in Chilliwack this afternoon. One looked mighty fine; the other was pretty rough.

phrenology
09-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Every time I thought of taking in a Heat game last season, it was a work night. I work only night shift (12 hr) on purpose for commuting against the grain. I was just thinking about taking in a few games this season, at least trying to take in a few games this season, as I was driving home from Chilliwack an hour ago. A billboard must have caught my attention. Yes they are Calgary Flames farm team. Spotted two more, new ones, not repeat, 3G's in Chilliwack this afternoon. One looked mighty fine; the other was pretty rough.

I'd like to come up to B.C. sometime and go 3G watching! We could take in a Heat game, let me know when they are playing Worcester, our farm team...we lost one and won one of our tandem Preseason bouts with Phoenix tonight in the NHL. It was weird they split our team in two and played simultaneous games here and in Phoenix with half of the Coyotes down there and up here. I was supposed to go down to the tank, but I was up in north country with Pico today, and was to beat to ride down to San Jose tonight. Are you in eastern BC? More of a Vancouver fan or Calgary? I always wanted to see the Sharks and Canucks play up in B.C.

Only 3Gs I saw today were mine and Pico's...maybe a few beat ones on the freeway...

car6289
09-26-2010, 12:24 AM
3G watching? Shall we go to the Hondaquarium or the Hondauseum? :D By some insane coincidence or disease (carmodelus operatus seethesameacus) I always seem so see the same model of cars that I happen to be driving at the time. In my 3G I frequently see other 3G's, in my Ridgeline I frequently see other Ridgelines, don't drive the Civic much so I don't see many Civics. That's a laugh, there must be tens of thousands of Civics around here.
Southwestern BC. A quick geography lesson.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Abbotsford,+British+Columbia&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=26.853336,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Abbotsford,+Fraser+Valley+Regional+District, +British+Columbia&ll=49.020535,-122.262039&spn=0.106494,0.338173&z=12
I've never been much of a team fan per se. I've seen lots people injured falling off/jumping on the bandwagon over the years. Suffice to say I'm a hockey fan. If the world went to hell come NHL playoff time, I'd barely notice.
Here's a pair of lower bowl tickets for Canucks/Sharks this Tuesday Sept. 28.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/tix/1973975640.html

lostforawhile
09-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Anyway, like I was sayin', smurf is the fruit of the forrest. You can barbecue them, boil them, broil them, bake them, saute them. Dey's uh, smurf-kabobs, smurf creole, smurf gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple smurf, lemon smurf, coconut smurf, pepper smurf, smurf soup, smurf stew, smurf salad, smurf and potatoes, smurf burger, smurf sandwich,smurf with mushrooms, That- that's about it.
http://www.shrimpnews.com/Graphics/GumpBubba.jpeg

phrenology
09-26-2010, 07:31 AM
NEED MOAR BIGGER PICS :eek:

phrenology
09-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Need moar Smurf fricassee :eatarrow:

lostforawhile
09-26-2010, 07:35 AM
what?

lostforawhile
09-26-2010, 07:39 AM
Need moar Smurf fricassee :eatarrow:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationswesternanimation/asstd_tv/gargamel.jpg

phrenology
09-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Anyway, just a thought but to get an idea of production numbers we could look at VIN numbers from each year of production, find the latest ones we know of and get an estimate of the total number built for that year. For those that don't know how to decode VINs:

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/decoding-vin-numbers-29059/