PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder compression

FrankD
10-10-2002, 05:58 AM
I'm trying to find the cause of loping idle. Exhaust sounds like one cylinder is missing. My compression is as follows:

Cyl PSI
------------
1 165
2 170
3 175
4 185

Car has 280,000KM . Do these results look good for carbed engine

Dutchboy
10-10-2002, 08:32 AM
thats not to bad.....
there all relitivly close....as long as one isnt like 75 then there shouldnt be a prooblem..

Try doing a tune up on it if you havent already...plugs/wires/coil/cap/rotor/pcv

then see what happens.
Though ive done that to my car and it still lopes too...im waiting to see If another member can correct it with a new distributor...hes got the same thing and is going to change it.

Ben

DanG86LX
10-10-2002, 08:56 AM
When the engine lopes, is missing randomly. How are ur spark plugs?
Mine used to lope b4 i cleaned the carb (took the top of, 6 screws, and cleaned all idle passages).

FrankD
10-11-2002, 02:58 AM
Mine lopes consistantly. I connected a timing light and it never skipped a beat on the light for any plug, Its as if theres a heavy weight on the crankshaft or fly wheel. Its really wierd and its bugging the hell out of me. I can definately here the "bap bap bap bap" from the tail pipe and it shakes with a perfect rythm. Normal driving seems to be OK. If I just rev the engine in neutral say to 2500 rpm, it's still there but less noticable. I didn't change the coil yet because I don't understand how that could affect one cylinder only. If your engines are missing randomly I think I have a different problem. Maybe bad igniter...is that in or out of the distributor I'm used to the engine running silky smooth. I hope one of you guys get yours figured out.

FrankD
10-11-2002, 03:02 AM
Where the heck is the PCV valve? and How does the O2 sensor affect idle? How much should a new/used distrbutor cost?

FrankD
10-11-2002, 03:10 AM
Mines got NEW plugs, wires, cap, rotor, filters. Besides the loping I also have a fast idle that wont kick off somtimes for 15 minutes. Lubing the linkage seems to help for a few days but the problem keeps returning. Where can I get detailed info on how this carb works?

DanG86LX
10-11-2002, 07:16 AM
For PCV location look under FAQ. Is a U shaped hose upside down, in the intake manifold right in front of carb (as u face engine from the front). PCV is on the left, manifold vacuum on the right. A bad PCV might indeed cause loping (or any other vacuum leak)..
As for the carb, just ask specific Q in "Carb Tech" section. There are few posts there about choke and fast idle systems.
Haines and Chiltons manuals are useless for Carb description. Get a Helm service manual from here: http://www.helminc.com/ for $50Us but with shipping, tax and currency, it comes for ~ $120CAN

FrankD
10-11-2002, 08:15 AM
My loping idle turns out to be leaking intake manifold gasket at no. 3 cylinder. I think someone already posted that this gasket is a pain in the ass to change. Now I just have to decide wether to bring it to $$$Honda $$$dealer or do it my self. Those lower manifold-to-head nuts look impossible to get at. Looks like I need to drain cooling system?...How many of you guys have done this. Do I need to borrow a compressor and air ratchet. I don't suppose I could just spray some high-tack gasket spray in there to seal it up.

Dutchboy
10-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Whats the way that you found the leak in the gasket...
I suspect that could be whats wrong with my car too since ive already changed every other freaken part on the ignition and sensors etc,,,,

i was thinking of using propane...or squirting soap water on it???

is there a simper way?

BEn

FrankD
10-11-2002, 10:00 AM
First...with the engine running I pulled off each spark plug lead, one at a time to see which cylinder was not firing(even though I have gas and spark). When I pulled number 3 off(wear protection!) there was very little idle difference. So now I concentrated on that area of intake gasket. While running engine while sprayed carb cleaner directly onto the #3 mating surface and bingo...idle went silky smooth for about 2 or 3 seconds until the liquid got sucked away. I used leather glove to pull plug boot off and don't touch anything else with any other part of your body. 30,000 volts will give you quite a jolt!

My Honda dealer quoted $300 to replace the gasket.
Frank

FrankD
10-11-2002, 10:06 AM
Ben,
Do NOT use soap water for intake leaks, you might damage something. It took very little carb cleaner spray to make an immediate and big difference in the idle quality.

Dutchboy
10-11-2002, 10:15 AM
Ok thanks.....
i was thinking that also....
itll do the same thing as the propane...

Was your leak on the top of the gasket??
I went out to look at it....looks harder than the one on the old 2ngens...
ive done them before...less emisions crap

Ben

Dutchboy
10-11-2002, 10:15 AM
Oh did it smooth the idle or make it rev?
propane will make it rev higher. so i guess this will too>?

NEVER MIND I WASNT PAYING ATTENTION TO YOUR REPLY>>>GOT IT

BEn

FrankD
10-11-2002, 01:00 PM
Yes...leak seems to be all on top..thats why I was thinking of trying to seal it temporily with some type of high temp sealer but I don't want to damage the cylinder if the stuff gets sucked in and craps up the valves or cylinder walls.

Dutchboy
10-11-2002, 01:47 PM
i dont think that any sealant would damage anything....iit would be broken down and shit out the exhuast if anything...
I sure hope that if mine leaks too its on the top so i can seal it...
I found some sealant that is resistant to all stuff and hardens up too ...so apply it let it harden and then it shoulld be good...

Ben

DanG86LX
04-23-2003, 07:42 PM

ACCORD EX
04-24-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by DanG86LX
Get a Helm service manual from here: http://www.helminc.com/ for $50Us but with shipping, tax and currency, it comes for ~ $120CAN

or just download it for free ! :D ( check the FAQ's )

MIKE