PDA

View Full Version : Bumper/trim restoration

Xaisk
09-24-2010, 04:15 PM
I used a 12 dollar heat gun, and got this.

http://www.myspace.com/the_trooper12/photos/albums/bumper-and-trim-restoration/2161953

BEST 12 dollars evar spent! evar!

Going to be painting the trim near the windows back to black. They are silver and faded away, but thats for tommorow or so...

O ya.. MAKE SURE YOU WASH YOUR DAMN BUMPERS BEFORE YOU DO THIS!!!

im scared on the bottom right that I melted dirt into it.

Civic Accord Honda
09-24-2010, 05:49 PM
your car!!! i want it!!! :(

Xaisk
09-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Thats my babe.. Actually I see my car as more of a partner in crime.. I love it to death.

Know what... I just looked through my gallery and noticed that I didnt take a picture of the mudflaps after I did them the rest of the way.

They look soooo good now.

charliekuney
09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
I tried that. Didn't work. :(

Xaisk
09-24-2010, 06:41 PM
idk if you have the stock 3g bumper it should definitly work. Took me a few hours, but it worked. I tryed it on the trim on the side of the car and that would not melt. I couldnt get that side trim to change for the life of me. Held the gun there at full power for like a minute haha. I think it turned out really great and im happy.

Got alot planned this check. Ordering a magna hi flow cat and the delta 40 series muffler. Going to have the put in with the LXI 4-2-1 headers I pulled. Hopefully ill have money for window tinting.. gahhhh..

Xaisk
09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Woo started the trim today!

it looks pretty damn sharp.. almost factory sharp..

http://www.myspace.com/the_trooper12/photos/albums/bumper-and-trim-restoration/2161953

This is turning out really well except for the trim running along the bottom of the back windows, and the back windshield.

The black plastic paint stuff is cracking off, and ive noticed that that is actually a seal to keep water out of the car. I havent had any leaking issues but if I remove that I will.

What should I do about that? I camoflaged it with paint on the back to look less ghetto but I want to find a more prominent solution...

The paint hasnt dried yet. letting it dry now.

Civic Accord Honda
09-25-2010, 11:54 AM
lol we all just paint over the window trim, im pretty sure its not a seal just rubber around the trim to look better, the window is glued on to the body lol.

but yeah some satin black paint every 2-5 years on the window trim keeps it looking fresh

Xaisk
09-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Idk about that.. The rear window trim on the bottom of it has a little gap inbetween the trim line and the frame of the car now. You can see it in the pictures I took. Im kinda worried that if it rains it might get into the car, in my hatch or worse the electronics back there...

Xaisk
10-01-2010, 05:42 AM
Alright. Completely finished painting my drivers side trim. The pics are posted.
Passenger side might get done today!

Xybris
10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I need to do a drive by after school one of these days and see how it looks in person.

Xaisk
10-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Haha yeah. I have the passenger side sanded down and ready for a coat of paint. Cant do it right now. Busy as hell >< they got me workin long shifts the next 5 days in a row inc today.

stat1K
10-20-2010, 08:06 AM
how bout a how to?

Xaisk
10-20-2010, 09:41 PM
A how-to to paint the trim and use the heat gun?

I can tell you exactly how I did it real quick.. wasnt much to it.

For the bumper, I went and bought a 12 dollar heat gun from harbor and freight, and spent about 2-3 hours on my knees shooting the bumper with the heat gun.

The heat gun radius is about 2 inchs and you have to hold it there for maybe 5 seconds and just go back and forth.

What your doing is melting the first layer of plastic causing the black dye to rise and it turns it to the original color. Im about 70% sure thats why that works.

For the trim, I took the heat gun and melted the plastic layer off the metal bars near the windows. Took a little while to get it off, but when I finally got it off, I sanded the trim down then painted it with enamel acrylic paint.

I used tape and plastic trash bags so that I didnt get it on the red or the glass.

Idk I can prolly do a guide with pictures.. I still havent painted the passenger side yet. Its already sanded and ready.. just havent had the time.

I recommend practicing with the paint on cardboard or something so that you get used to the sprayer. I just went straight to my car and I have a few tiny spots where I put too much paint but its not too bad.

I still have to do the hatch trim so ill take pictures and post a guide =D give me time to get it all done.