PDA

View Full Version : 1st Accord, new to the site

shattered.likeness
09-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Hello all!

Just bought my first 3G 2 weeks ago for $680, a 1987 Honda Accord LX-i, and it has been a wild ride thus far. The person that owned it before me obviously did not know anything about Hondas, as it was not in the best of shape. So far I have replaced:

- NGK plug wires
- Bosch Platinum 4 plugs
- Front brake pads and rotors
- Rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders
- Exhaust from the catalytic converter back (glass pack exhaust)
- Distributor cap & button
- Igniter
- Radiator
- Valve cover gasket

Still left to fix:

- Water pump (can't drive more than 5 miles without running out of coolant) [tomorrow]
- Timing belt [tomorrow]
- Oil change [tomorrow]
- Cooling fan wiring [tomorrow]
- Tires
- CV Joint boots
- Incorrect speedometer (10 mph lower than actual speed)

As stated in the title, this is my first accord. My first car was an 89 Prelude S. Haven't owned a Honda in 8ish years until now, and even with all of the problems, I'm glad I've got one again.

Now for a little about me: I am a computer geek through and through. Been building my own custom PC's for a few years now, including custom TEC-based water cooling kits, and spent some time writing hardware reviews under the same user name for pureoverclock.com. Now I'm trading in my precision screwdriver set for a socket wrench and a Haynes manual (plus the shop manual I found here) and am going to see what I can do this car.

Looking forward to seeing more of your cars and talking with you in the forums. I'll post some pics soon.

Pico
09-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Keeps us posted on your progress

stat1K
09-25-2010, 08:37 AM
what part of NC?

shattered.likeness
09-25-2010, 03:46 PM
@ Stat1k: I'm in Hendersonville, just south of Asheville in Western NC.

Seeing as how I feel that I am going to be around here for quite some time, I went ahead and joined the foundation. I figure that it was worth it for the amount of information I have learned in the past few days, and what I am sure I will learn during the rest of my stay here.

stat1K
09-25-2010, 07:29 PM
ah word, i'm outside of charlotte in the monroe area.

heard great things about asheville. might have to check it out.

shattered.likeness
09-26-2010, 03:10 PM
If I can get my LX-i running well enough, I might try to make the site meet in Nashville next year. Actually been thinking of moving to your area once I get out of school. Figure that the Charlotte area might give better opportunity for a job in networking/ programming.