PDA

View Full Version : Polk db amp Match up

phrenology
09-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I do audio work for a living, but a lot of my live audio skills don't translate well to car audio. I usually don't touch this stuff with a 10 foot pole. I got a Polk dB 1240 12" sub and I was putting my foot in the water to see what kind of crossover/amp I should think about? Suggestions? I'm running an older JVC head unit KD series, and I plan to power the 4 mains off the head for now. I'm just looking to get this sub cranking but I'm limited on budget as, the money flows in a different direction these days. I'm not familiar with quality mobile amps, so maybe someone can give me a push. Its a dual voice coil, takes 360 Watts RMS at 4 ohm, 720 Watts max. Ideas? :dunno:

phrenology
10-01-2010, 08:03 PM
My factory fronts were chewed to bits. I got my new front door speakers today. I picked up a new pair of Polk DB651 for less than 2/3 price. I was hoping they would be drop ins, not so much. But the mod to get them in shouldn't be too bad. After doing hours of measuring and comparing charts I figured that the DB651 seemed to have a shallower top mounting depth than the DB651s (which are the polk designated shallow mount) doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyway I was happy to find that the regular DB651 are almost the same diameter as the stocks and the same depth. However they have crossovers on the outside and the frames bulge out enough to make them not sit right.

My only semi quick fix is to dremel out the sides of the Honda basket/brackets and epoxy the DB651 adapter rings to the honda baskets. The only issue is they will stick out on the topside so I might nix the Honda grills and fab up a custom surround for the DB651 grills which actually look pretty nice (they did an 8 spoke split rim design). Pics to come when I actually have time to deal with all of this.

Here are the stock specs: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/db/specs.php#coaxialr

phrenology
01-28-2011, 04:06 PM
I finally got the stereo back in after not having a car for 5+ years and not having a car with a working stereo in 7+ years it feels nice. The Polk Db didn't fit in the front with much ease due to window retraction depth. I didn't buy the Db slim fits because they actually had a deeper top mounting depth listed, had a lower SPL rating, sensativity, and cost more go figure...:banghead:

I'll do a write up on my install later, but it involved cutting out the stock speakers themselves and using the frame to make a spacer between the original basket and the Polk adapter rings. It worked fine but now the stock grills don't fit over them so I'm working on a way to mount them over the Polks. I'm going to have to epoxy a new extension lip around the stock grills to clear the speakers.

So for now its a JVC head unit with Polk Dbs up front and blown OEM in the rear. I'm gonna complete the set with Polk db 6X9s in the read deck.

MessyHonda
01-28-2011, 11:49 PM
yeah our front doors dont really have a good fit for big speakers

skye
12-16-2011, 12:50 AM
I have a alpine headunit and a rockford amp. Sounds awesome IMHO.

If you are looking for a good AMP then my vote goes to rockford. You will also find a lot of sony's and pioneer's but believe me they aren't close to what a rockford can sound like. Clean mids, clean bass and highs even at high volumes.....what more do you want ?

Cheers
Jake
Toyota Anaheim (http://www.toyotaplace.com/toyota-anaheim-ca)