PDA

View Full Version : Weber 38/38

dustinksmith
09-29-2010, 07:40 AM
So i just bought a weber 38/38 from one of the members (itzdave). i had plans of installing it very soon. yet i just read something about automatic transmission and weber carb issues. what modification is needed to run the weber carb with an auto transmission?

InAccordance
09-29-2010, 08:56 AM
what i did... this is on a 32/36 though
it make your gas pedal somewhat stiff, personally I kinda like it but some may not. however, what i did does work.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73909

2oodoor
09-29-2010, 09:27 AM
So i just bought a weber 38/38 from one of the members (itzdave). i had plans of installing it very soon. yet i just read something about automatic transmission and weber carb issues. what modification is needed to run the weber carb with an auto transmission?

no modification as long as your TV cable comes from the gas pedal inside the car, all you do is adjust the cable at the tranny then to match appropriate movement of the TV lever to movement of the throttle opening of the car. Try it as it is first then go from there.

you may want to remove the cover in the wheel well on the right side so you can access the adjustment, and you may want to go ahead now and try adjusting it some with your current set up so you will be familiar with it.

dustinksmith
09-30-2010, 04:59 AM
what i did... this is on a 32/36 though
it make your gas pedal somewhat stiff, personally I kinda like it but some may not. however, what i did does work.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73909

it was your thread that i read.

itzdave
09-30-2010, 05:01 AM
it worked fine with that same linkage when my car was an automatic. no changes were made to the carb or linkage when i did the 5 spd swap.

dustinksmith
10-18-2010, 05:08 AM
ok, so how hard of a job is it? and how bad can i screw up my car is i botch the job?

2oodoor
10-18-2010, 07:41 AM
ok, so how hard of a job is it? and how bad can i screw up my car is i botch the job?

Dont drop anything down the intake manifold when the carb is off, and don't try to drive it with the tranny tv cable so far out of adjustment and you should be ok. Also, oops make sure you add a throttle return spring so it wont get caught at wide open throttle..and plug the water hole in the intake on the carb flange too.
It is fun to just start taking stuff off that is all related to the oem carb and NO longer NEEDED.

Xaisk
10-19-2010, 07:21 AM
yeah I would make XTRA sure that you JB weld or seal that flange hole good or youll end up with coolant in your manifold and engine block.

I used JB weld on mine and its been like that for nearly a year with no problem,

Eventually I want to take the thermostat housing out and weld that pipe that goes to the manifold shut, then that long coolant pipe that the water comes out of the manifold from shut too. That way no water flows into my manifold period.

2oodoor
10-19-2010, 03:05 PM
yeah I would make XTRA sure that you JB weld or seal that flange hole good or youll end up with coolant in your manifold and engine block.

I used JB weld on mine and its been like that for nearly a year with no problem,

Eventually I want to take the thermostat housing out and weld that pipe that goes to the manifold shut, then that long coolant pipe that the water comes out of the manifold from shut too. That way no water flows into my manifold period.

yes I have no water running thru mine, I bypass the hose on the left side and block off the one on the right. When you do that you need to move the temp sender to a hole over by the thermostat
hey on one of my cars I cut threads in the hole under the carb and put a headless set screw in it with permenant lock- tite

Xaisk
10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
What he said. nuff said.

consemated
10-29-2010, 10:28 AM
I wish I had an automatic