PDA

View Full Version : Inner tie rods

pink_sleeve
09-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Can the inner tie rods be removed without renting a special tool and does one inner tie rod tool work with all inner tie rods?

88Accord-DX
10-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Can the inner tie rods be removed without renting a special tool and does one inner tie rod tool work with all inner tie rods? The location makes it hard to use other tools. My next tool of choice would be a large crow foot wrench. I've seen some ppl talk on here about using a large open end wrench &/ cresent wrench to get theirs off. Some parts stores rent the inner tie rod end removal tool. If I remember right, it's somewhere around 32 mm.

Hauntd ca3
10-02-2010, 11:17 PM
everytime i've had to do rack ends, i've used a set of 12 inch vice grips with great success.

luvestoospooge
10-04-2010, 03:14 PM
you dont need any special tools, i rented 2 different kits thinking i needed one, and none of them fit at all.. :uh:

i just used an open ended wrench, cant remember the size, but make sure you put the boot back on afterwards or your rack will prematurity wear out!

pink_sleeve
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
you dont need any special tools, i rented 2 different kits thinking i needed one, and none of them fit at all.. :uh:

i just used an open ended wrench, cant remember the size, but make sure you put the boot back on afterwards or your rack will prematurity wear out!

I'll have to climb under and take a peek. I just noticed the inner driverside was junk when i was doing the outers.

lostforawhile
10-04-2010, 04:27 PM
if the inner tie rods are shot, you might be better off to just get a rebuilt rack and replace the entire thing. by the time you buy the tie rods, boots, etc. and go to all the trouble, you could have swapped in a rebuilt.