PDA

View Full Version : Se-i sputtered and died

nfs480
10-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Just spent three hours driving home from school for the weekend and my car broke down only about 2 miles from home. It started to sputter and wanted to die when I pressed on the accelerator. I pulled off into a parking lot and shut it down.

I tried restarting it and it didn't want to start back up (was cranking strong but wouldn't start running).

My dad and I came back later and managed to get it running, and it idled just fine, but if I put it into drive and started to drive it it would start sputtering and wanted to die again. It eventually did up and die again when I was driving around the parking lot.

I didn't have time around school to work on it and so I had it towed to a mechanic. He says that it has weak spark and is recommending replacing the distributor cap, rotor and ignition coil. what do you guys think?

charliekuney
10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Was the trip abnormally hot or cold? Sounds like a main relay to me.

nfs480
10-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Nope, fairly temperate climate. I'm fairly confident it's not the main relay, once I got the car started it would idle fine it just wouldn't work well under load, with the relay doesn't it just not start at all?

charliekuney
10-04-2010, 01:48 PM
When the relay starts to go bad the car is hard to start, but when it does it runs/drives normally. Once it goes completely bad, no start.

nfs480
10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
That's just it though, the car runs fun, but it drives terribly. Once it's in drive and you hit the accelerator it's starts to sputter like it wants to quit but it keeps going. You can rev it in park and it revs all the way up to 3000 just fine.

AccordEpicenter
10-04-2010, 02:05 PM
no check engine light? I suspect fuel filter or pump. If not either check map sensor.

charliekuney
10-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Out of gas? Sounds like my last car when I went through a huge puddle. Did that happen? If not, I'm at a loss, and I'd probably go with that mechanic.

nfs480
10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
No check engine light, and tank was 3/4 full.

w261w261
10-05-2010, 04:56 AM
If you don't know when the fuel filter was last replaced, that's where I would start.

88lxi-shortram
10-05-2010, 06:16 AM
we have a jeep at school with the same problem i would check your fuel pump first start their and work your way up to the engine bay (fuel pump then filter then test wires ect ect). if you can get some schematics they help alot as well.

http://fuel.gif

Xaisk
10-05-2010, 07:27 AM
It also sounds like your fuel system could have been clogged. If it isnt getting enough fuel because its clogged then it cant turn the motor under stress and naturally shuts off. Try running some STP fuel cleaner through your system once or twice and see if that helps. If not, then check your plugs to see if they have fowled, if not, then check your fuel pump and filters. Replacing filters never hurts and its not expensive. Anyway if your fuel pump is fine I would start checking the ignition system further. ( I recommended checking plugs first earlier because its in order from cheapest) Check your coil and spark wires to make sure they are not torn or damaged. If no damage is visible on them, youll probally need to start testing it with a voltometer to make sure its getting proper voltage. I dont know how to do it so I cant explain how to. If all of that tests out fine then maybe its one of the random solenoids, I dont know if your running carb or FI or not but theres plenty of solenoids that like to fail and can be tested with a vacuum gauge.

nfs480
10-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, the problem is sort of fixed. Replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and the wire that connects the ignition coil to the distribute (was tested and found to have an open circuit) and now the car starts up and idles and for the most part drives fine. However, whenever I accelerate somewhat hard (like about 3000 RPM or higher) the engine starts the stumble again and wants to die, otherwise it drives perfectly fine. Any ideas what else could be causing it? Replacing the ignition coil wire fixed most of the problem and none of these problems existed before the car broke down last week.

AccordEpicenter
10-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I suspect fuel filter or pump. If not either check map sensor.

Xaisk
10-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah, It sounds like a fuel delivery issue for sure. Mine does that slightly, but it doesnt try to shut it off. I have a weber, and when I accelerate, sometimes the RPM will drop about 50 to 100 pts then will acelerate after it gets fuel flowing again. Maybe its the accel jet on mine that isnt big enough.. IDK.