PDA

View Full Version : Installing Neons

jordanwhite
10-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I have seen posts about this all over the web but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

I recently bought Neon lights.

2 sets of lights ------> Switchbox (sound activated or always on) ------> cigarette lighter

I want to hook up these lights directly to the battery.

Everywhere all over the web they mention something about there being 3 wires. When I cut the cigarette lighter I only see 2? am I doing something wrong.

Also to test my theory when I connect a wire to the cigarette lighter (2 wires - one on tip and one on a edge flap) it does not work. But I must hook up both side flaps and run them both to the battery also.

What am I doing wrong?
Any ideas?

charliekuney
10-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Is the third the ground?

jordanwhite
10-04-2010, 01:53 PM
well I dont have a third going to the neons,
Its just 2 wires. So I was wondering if it would matter if I used a ground or not?

charliekuney
10-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Link to a site talking about third wire?

2ndGenGuy
10-04-2010, 02:37 PM
12 volt DC systems only use 2 wires. Positive and negative. Maybe the neons you were reading about were 120volt w/ ground, or perhaps the third one triggers the power. If you've only got 2 wires in your car lights, then one is just positive to hooked to a switched circuit, and the other you just ground.

jordanwhite
10-04-2010, 02:50 PM
12 volt DC systems only use 2 wires. Positive and negative. Maybe the neons you were reading about were 120volt w/ ground, or perhaps the third one triggers the power. If you've only got 2 wires in your car lights, then one is just positive to hooked to a switched circuit, and the other you just ground.

Could I just hook the one wire to the positive and the other to the negative? or will that not work?

ChaseR
10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
FYI, neons were stupid 10 years ago on any car let alone a 10 year old car, the same rings true today on a 20 year old car. Don't waste you time looking stupid by putting neon lights on your car.

jordanwhite
10-04-2010, 03:16 PM
i didn't ask for your opinion anyways but ok :) I was just wondering how to hook them up

Could I hook one wire to the positive and one wire to the negative on the battery?

Also I would include a inline fuse on the positive side

ChaseR
10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
You didn't have to ask, please inform me, why compels someone to purchase worthless crap like this that isn't even legal? Same goes for cheap raspy ebay exhaust, stick on vents and other crap of that nature.

lostforawhile
10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
the only place they look good, is hidden on the inside of the car, no blinking flashing or glare from visible tubes. nice subtle glow from well hidden tubes. When the underbody ones first came out they were cool if done right, the problem was, everyone had them hanging off the bottom of the car where you could see the tube. that screams cheap installer or idiot installer. the underbody kits look best with ground effects where the tubes are completely hidden, and no blinking flashing crap. someone who has a car that looks like the Vegas strip under it, doesn't look cool, just stupid!! just my opinion

2ndGenGuy
10-04-2010, 03:41 PM
i didn't ask for your opinion anyways but ok :) I was just wondering how to hook them up

Could I hook one wire to the positive and one wire to the negative on the battery?

Also I would include a inline fuse on the positive side

Yes, just hook the positive side to the battery basically. You'll probably want a switch somewhere along the way, and put the fuse as close to the battery as you can get it. The negative, you should keep short, and just ground it to the body somewhere.

labeledsk8r
10-04-2010, 06:45 PM
You didn't have to ask, please inform me, why compels someone to purchase worthless crap like this that isn't even legal? Same goes for cheap raspy ebay exhaust, stick on vents and other crap of that nature.

same reason you over paied for a honda civic wich is mostly a eco box.... becuse you like it

ChaseR
10-04-2010, 10:36 PM
same reason you over paied for a honda civic wich is mostly a eco box.... becuse you like it

Lol that's funny, not even close to the same thing. Over paid isn't exactly the term I would use but fair enough on the eco box.

Xaisk
10-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Nothings wrong with the civic anyway. We have a 99 civic and its running strong at I think 200k.

ChaseR
10-05-2010, 08:11 AM
He was referring to my 07 Civic Si or my 08 hybrid

labeledsk8r
10-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Xaisx i was just makeing a point, he bought a car becuse he liked them, same reason this guy wants to put neons in his car he likes them lol wasnt hateing on anybody

ChaseR
10-05-2010, 08:53 AM
I wasn't hating on anyone but neons arent legal for one thing and are a pointless add on, its not the same as buying an entire car.

labeledsk8r
10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
^ they are in my state unless there blue or red, also the tube can not be visable as its direct light. but if the tubes are not visible by passing cars then its legal (here in FL anyways) lighting laws like that differ from state to state

lostforawhile
10-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Nothings wrong with the civic anyway. We have a 99 civic and its running strong at I think 200k.

i hope it's not an auto, the transmission will fail, it's just a matter of time, doesn't matter if civic, or integra, or pretty much anything of those years, they fail like clockwork. everyone i know who has a high mileage one has eitheir junked it or shelled out big money to replace or overhaul the transmission. I know someone personally who works in a very reputable transmission shop, been in buisness 50 years, he says they are crap to, has rebuilt plenty of them, the shift valves clog from debris, then the clutches don't fully engage and destroy the lining and the gear sets attached to them fail from operating not fully engaged. they self destruct. ok back on topic. the neon looks great as an accent inside, as long as you can't see the tubes.

mitchy13(pikachu)
10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
hahaha i installed neon lights in my old Power Wheels, not legal nor illegal but i was rolling deep with it hahahhaha

jordanwhite
10-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Yes, just hook the positive side to the battery basically. You'll probably want a switch somewhere along the way, and put the fuse as close to the battery as you can get it. The negative, you should keep short, and just ground it to the body somewhere.

Ok so I tried that. I took the 2 wires coming out of the light (I cut off the cigarette lighters) and I could not get it working connected directly to the battery

I tried:
1to+ and 1to-
1to+ and 1to Ground
1to- and 1 to ground
and i did that with both all possible combination's

Could it be the bolt on the batter does not have power to it? I have never heard of this but it might be the case.

oh yeah my car is a Buick Century custom 2002

AccordEpicenter
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
the only place they look good, is hidden on the inside of the car, no blinking flashing or glare from visible tubes. nice subtle glow from well hidden tubes. When the underbody ones first came out they were cool if done right, the problem was, everyone had them hanging off the bottom of the car where you could see the tube. that screams cheap installer or idiot installer. the underbody kits look best with ground effects where the tubes are completely hidden, and no blinking flashing crap. someone who has a car that looks like the Vegas strip under it, doesn't look cool, just stupid!! just my opinion

Truth. Well put, lost

Xaisk
10-05-2010, 07:45 PM
haha being off topic, the transmission in that car is working but I can tell its getting kind of worn. Sometimes takes a like a split second for it to start going after putting it in drive.. My transmission is still feeling great.