PDA

View Full Version : Received some bad news today!!!

3GLXIHatch
10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
So back in January I bought my 87 hatch for 750 bucks, and it would not start. So put a new battery in it, new fuel pump, spark plugs, etc. and still wouldnt start. Spark plugs had water on them, so assumed head gasket. So sat in the garage a few months, took it to a guy I know at an Acura dealership to work on it. It sat there for almost 4 months without him touching it, and sat through a hail storm in the mean time. By the way I would give the exterior a 7 or 8 out of 10 (paint still shines). So I was very pissed about all of that. Found a guy at the Honda dealership to work on it (sat there for almost a month). So today he finally decided to replace the head gasket, and he found that the f*cking block froze up! Drained the oil and only anti-freeze came out! So lower half of the engine is gone! Keep in mind the engine has around 84,6xx miles on it. I just want this to be a DD and nothing fast. So my question is find a used motor or buy a remaned block from Ebay for 300 bucks? I would love to do a motor swap, but dont want to drop tons of money in it for a DD (Wife wouldnt let me anyways). So what should I do? I would hate to buy a whole motor since this one barely has any miles on the top end.

ghettogeddy
10-04-2010, 08:18 PM
used will be fine as long as it low mileage and looks to be in good shape

3GLXIHatch
10-04-2010, 08:24 PM
When you say low mileage are you talking around 150k? How much should I expect to pay for one used with low mileage?

ghettogeddy
10-05-2010, 05:00 AM
for a full motor it depends but shouldn't be more then 300 just remember that while its out of the car to replace all the major seals and gaskets and clean it the best you can

lostforawhile
10-05-2010, 05:45 AM
make sure you post a wanted ad on the site also, someone here would be best to buy one from