PDA

View Full Version : damn battery died cause of THIS?!?!?!?

mitchy13(pikachu)
10-04-2010, 08:40 PM
so i went to class for 3 hour (how long the class really is) and when i hopped back in, my baby wouldnt start...and i was what the?!? and i popped the hood open to check...everything was fine, and so i thought, battery finally died? it did but i found the cause, my seat belt light stayed on all the time, and i was nooo way! stupid light......hahhha

InAccordance
10-05-2010, 03:32 AM
ive killed a battery just from the dome light being left on, doesnt take much.

carotman
10-05-2010, 03:34 AM
Hmm, the seatbelt light shouldn't stay on when you remove the key. Are you sure it was on before you put the key in?

w261w261
10-05-2010, 04:33 AM
You got other issues. A lone light isn't going to take out a healthy battery in 3 hours, not to mention it shouldn't be on.

lostforawhile
10-05-2010, 04:42 AM
the only way the seat belt light could be on was if the ignition switch was on, maby the switch is staying on after you remove the key?
it's an lxi, maby the main relay is sticking closed. in the ignition switch there are two ignition circuits, the car may shut off but the other one may be on somehow

gp02a0083
10-05-2010, 05:26 AM
whatever it is , you have a big short somewhere causing it to drain the battery that fast. The fog lights i have dont even kill the battery that fast. Like lost said , check a main relay. One way to check if it is only the seatbelt system is to unplug the control unit under the passenger seat, also try unplugging the wires that go to the seatbelt locks

lostforawhile
10-05-2010, 05:40 AM
whatever it is , you have a big short somewhere causing it to drain the battery that fast. The fog lights i have dont even kill the battery that fast. Like lost said , check a main relay. One way to check if it is only the seatbelt system is to unplug the control unit under the passenger seat, also try unplugging the wires that go to the seatbelt locks

if the light is on when you take out the key, try unplugging the key switch connector where it plugs into the fuse box, if it goes out you know the key switch isn't shutting off. do this first, because the main relay may be staying on if the ignition doesn't shut off. with the key off, nothing should work except a few things like the lights on warning, etc. these key switches are designed bad, they are always overloaded, sometimes the solder in a contact will melt and cause an issue, i have one somewhere where all the solder is melted everywhere

mitchy13(pikachu)
10-05-2010, 12:00 PM
na my battery was already running out of life and was gonna get a new one this weekend, and the thing in the seatbelt lock that indicated that if i have my belt on or off is messed up cause it flashes even though i have it on. but i fixed that prob with it last night, just need to get a new battery

lostforawhile
10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
na my battery was already running out of life and was gonna get a new one this weekend, and the thing in the seatbelt lock that indicated that if i have my belt on or off is messed up cause it flashes even though i have it on. but i fixed that prob with it last night, just need to get a new battery

was it flashing with the key off? there were some problems with the auto tensioners in the doors also, sometimes this drains the battery, you have the belts attached to the doors?

mitchy13(pikachu)
10-06-2010, 10:43 AM
well it only stayed on that one time that i was in class, otherwise it flashes when i have the car on and seatbelt. but i already unplugged the sensor on the belt lock

lostforawhile
10-08-2010, 06:00 AM
good call. but i kinda agree with the others that your seat belt light alone couldn't have caused all that.. so yeah, best thing to do perhaps would be to have it checked for other possible or potential problems.. maybe the seatbelt thing PLUS another problem killed your battery together.

wholesale car partswhat i'm saying is it flashing with the key OFF? it doesn't matter if you disconnect the wire, if it's on with the key off, that means your ignition switch is stuck partly on and everything that is supposed to turn off isn't

2oodoor
10-08-2010, 08:45 AM
87 hatch LXi... engine fans were on with the car off. I come home from work, I didnt notice the fans on but when I went back out 1.5 hour later they were on???
only did this once so far since I started back driving it..
I wonder if this is what the OP could have had happen?

lostforawhile
10-08-2010, 09:03 AM
87 hatch LXi... engine fans were on with the car off. I come home from work, I didnt notice the fans on but when I went back out 1.5 hour later they were on???
only did this once so far since I started back driving it..
I wonder if this is what the OP could have had happen?
the lxi has a fan timer under the seat, and a relay, it's possible the module got a brain fart, or the relay stuck

gp02a0083
10-08-2010, 05:51 PM
if the light is on when you take out the key, try unplugging the key switch connector where it plugs into the fuse box, if it goes out you know the key switch isn't shutting off. do this first, because the main relay may be staying on if the ignition doesn't shut off. with the key off, nothing should work except a few things like the lights on warning, etc. these key switches are designed bad, they are always overloaded, sometimes the solder in a contact will melt and cause an issue, i have one somewhere where all the solder is melted everywhere

Yah i know these switches are odd, on my 87 the ign. switch caused my radio and climate controls to not work. I ended up re-soldering some connections, worked like new for at least 3 months or so, i still ended up buying a new one anyway.

mitchy13(pikachu)
10-09-2010, 08:50 AM
it did stay on at the time i was in class, otherwise it never did that at all. but i got some help by a friend and checked every possible problem. only thing we found were some blown fuses. now i got no problems with anything. im set =)