PDA

View Full Version : Project Grassroots Motorsports $2011 Challenge

Vanilla Sky
10-05-2010, 02:04 AM
I've had this chassis for a while. I need to work on getting fair market value for it just to see what I can still spend. I have several options this year. They are as follows:

1. Turbo H22 swap. It's nowhere near as hard as you guys make it out to be. Put the motor where I want, weld in the mounts, wire it, and run it. Nothing major, really. This is by far the most expensive way to build, and I feel this will really push my skills hard.

2. Freshen up suspension, install cam, header, custom exhaust, make a cam gear, really go for a good autocross time and concourse score.

3. Turbo A20. Clean up head casting marks, build a turbo manifold (maybe even buy one) B16 intake manifold, maybe even juice it a bit. Sure, I'll probably kill the motor, but I have spares so it's not a big deal.

Suspension will likely be the same no matter. Motorcycle shocks are really great, but it seems that a lot of bike shocks can only handle 500 pound springs. Our Miata this year did really awesome on 500 pound springs, and I'd really like a little bit of leeway with spring rate in case I need to go higher. I have a set of coilover sleeves that I can likely make work, but automotive shocks can get pricey. I can have bike shocks at all 4 corners for about $100. Pretty much anything else will cost me that much per corner.

Right now, I'm open to suggestions. I don't mind recommendations on stuff, but do remember that a lot of things will be fabricated for this build, so don't expect to see mostly bolt-on parts.

BTW, the chassis I'm going to be using is Justin's old white coupe, which can be seen here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66607&highlight=rebirth). I have to sell off a lot of parts from that car, and there's some good parts there, like an arm rest, cup holders, JDM foglight switch, and a good deal of nice plastics. Once the disassembly starts, I'll be posting in the for sale section.

If you have any questions or comments, please post. I am getting in a bit over my head with this. There's a lot of fab to be done. All of the suspension bushings are going into the garbage can, to be replaced with some HDPE material we have. For critical items, we have delrin available.

A18A
10-05-2010, 02:31 AM
Doesn't that $2011 have to pay for the car too? If so, how much have you got left to spend?

Vanilla Sky
10-05-2010, 02:53 AM
$2011 is EVERYTHING on the car, including the car. The only things not counted are a bolt-in roll cage and OEM brake parts.

Strugglebucket
10-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Make sure you sell everything you take off the car so you can recoup it in your cost total!

I think the A20 turbo is by far the best bang for the buck in terms of engine power. Just go with a smaller turbo and use nitrous for the drag race.

random thoughts:

-4x4" steel truck wheels (wide and cheap and will fit 4x100 sorta)
-used racing slicks that aren't hardened up
-500 pound springs should be plenty as long as the car isn't too low
-Lotsa camber up front for autox but be able to set it back for drag race
-be able to lock rear springs for drag race
-2-step for drag launch
-these things help to win an autox: 1)wide sticky tires 2)be as light as go-kart 3)Wide power band with low end torques 4)LSD 5)ninja driving skills

labeledsk8r
10-08-2010, 09:11 PM
YAY my old car is comeing back to life as a racer LOL...

1 and 3 are your best bets just couldnt really say wich is the best route. if you need a hand lemme know, kinda weird seeing that car go from easly streetable to racer.

can i ask whyed you choose the white cope over the old black one in the back yard?

Civic Accord Honda
10-08-2010, 09:23 PM
this is sad and win at same time.

Vanilla Sky
10-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I've decided to change things up a bit. Instead of using the full budget, I'm going to compete in the $1000 or less class. That means I'm going to have to keep an A20. I need to try to get a turbo in under budget. I don't really want to boost and add nitrous, you get penalized for major breakdowns. I'm trying to beat up on a well warmed over Mitsubishi Starion in this class.

I can get tires, that's really not that hard. Usually they come mounted on wheels, and if they don't, I can get them cheap. Unless I'm making serious power, I don't see drag slicks as being worth a lot of time.

The reason I'm using the white car is because it's in far better condition. I'm going to use the black one for parts. It's just far too beat up to make it a decent looking car. Because 1/4 of the score is concourse, it needs to look good. The Starion looks pretty good, so this car needs to look good.

Vanilla Sky
11-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a pair for EF shocks for the front and CB shocks for the rear. I need something that is able to handle 500lb/in springs, and adjustable is good. I'm willing to go $50 a corner, used is 100% fine. This is something that's holding me up, and will be a PITA if I can't find.

PeterNtheWolf
11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
-these things help to win an autox: 1)wide sticky tires 2)be as light as go-kart 3)Wide power band with low end torques 4)LSD 5)ninja driving skills

wh1skea
11-22-2010, 12:31 PM

dropping acid and auto crossing, never tried that HA

LSD = Limited Slip Differential

.....do a search

Vanilla Sky
11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I can't get an LSD in the budget unless I find an LSD Integra transmission. With a turbo, I really need the tallest gearing I can get, though.

Tdurr
11-22-2010, 11:37 PM
^^ carbed tranny

Vanilla Sky
11-23-2010, 04:19 AM
I'll have to budget for another transmission. I'd really like to stick with the LXi transmission I have in there now.

labeledsk8r
11-23-2010, 09:44 AM
carb trannys have taller gears there for are more ideal for turbo setups as you can spend longer in the boost. but im guessing derick wants to stay with the lx-i trans due to he JUST put it into the car hahahaha.

wh1skea
11-23-2010, 10:35 AM
I actually think that its cause he doesn't want to tie up his budget on the trans so he can use it for other things.

Vanilla Sky
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM
It's more due to the budget. There's a decent chance I'm going to pull the motor out to clean it up and do some work to it. I'd like to shave the engine bay, which will help me with concourse. Shaving is about dead last on things I need to get done, though.

I'm going to keep this thread clean because I'm going to use it as my official build thread for this project, and it will be linked to on other sites.