PDA

View Full Version : Engine Knocking

Xaisk
10-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Ok this is a very interesting engine knock... I did the weber swap.. Havent got my new exhaust welded on so its still stock..

When in park, there is a light knock sound and when I rev the engine it revs without making a knock sound.

When in drive it is the same except when driving up the road it makes a knocking sound super quick. but as soon as the revs arent making the car go faster (IE they become just enough to sustain that speed or lose it) it goes away.

now.. I have a EGR pipe when swapped with the weber that leads to nowhere.

I read on a post way ago from Roodoo to stick a cork in the pipe. That effectivly gets rid of the sound until the cork gets blasted out of the pipe a few days later.

This friday im going to do the LXI 4-2-1 exhaust swap and put my new cat and muffler on.

Do you guys think its something going bad inside the engine or just some wierd sound coming from the pipe? As I said if I cork that sucker the sound completely goes away.

I will get a vid of it real quick...

(edit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2mZ8uShUZQ

Video Linkl. The alleged knocking can be heard in that quick burst of acceleration.an get a longer recording if needed.

InAccordance
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
sounded like exhaust to me
I actually left the big black plastic thing that connects to the egr pipe there, helps baffle it until i can get that pipe sealed up

Xaisk
10-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah thats what I thought. Just being paranoid I suppose. Its in great condition. This Friday I should have my stuff welded on. Got the LXI manifold and it removes that pipe. Then my Magna hi-flo cat and delta 40 =D cant wait.

lostforawhile
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
are you taing about the pipe screwed into the exaust manifold? someone told me the fill plug from a tranny is the same threads and size

Xaisk
10-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah exactly.. come to think of it it is closely sized.. maybe a junkyard part.... eh nah im geting rid of the whole manifold for a new one Friday =D