View Full Version : Opinions on Repairs

phrenology
10-08-2010, 07:21 PM
I gotta fix one at a time...

My issues (mechanical) :

Ripped and rusted CVs

Needs clutch, pretty bad

5th Gear no good...needs to be rebuilt/ and or serviced

Should get a TB done soon enough. Got about 60K on this one.

Some issues with battery/alternator: constant battery light, battery charges, I've gotten high and low charge indications (metered hi and low) No starting issues.

(EFI) Idle stutter issues...we already cleaned the Throttle body, set up the timing and adjusted the throttle cable and idle adjustment. Still stutters and jerks dropping below 800 RPMs at stand still sometimes.

Any opinions on what I should attack first???

I'm thinking the CVs and clutch will be best to drop in first. I already have an Exedy NIB ready to go. The tranny is gonna need to be assessed ASAP too, highway without a 5th is not good, cooking the 4th. Not sure what happened, It doesn't engage at all in 5th, just slips...anyone who knows their 5 speeds have an idea? The last owner said it just failed while highway cruising, he never got it assessed. Shredded synchros? :dunno: In all my years with Accords I never handled tranny rebuilds.

Advice welcome. Thanks in advance. :bow:

Ichiban
10-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I'd run that tranny until it explodes, at least use your time now to source another one (wrecker). I know how much low gears on the highway suck, my toyota does 4100 RPM at 115 KPH in fourth gear. Never had fifth.

I'd deal with the alternator first. You don't want it damaging your electrical system. Get a junkyard alt and switch them. See what happens.

Avoid rain and puddles/dust until you can get the CV's somewhat repaired. I say get some functional wrecker replacements. If that's too rich for your blood, a lot of wreckers peel apart the CV's when they pull engines, and you can get the boots for super cheap (often free). Pull your CV's, wash them spotless with solvent, blast clean with air, wash the boots out with simple green or dish soap. Wear rubber gloves, used CV grease is hazardous.

I haven't a clue where to start with the idle issue. Still trying to figure out my own. Maybe fuel pressure, or to do with the electrical issue? IACV buggered out? Guess you're on your own with that one.:rolleyes:

phrenology
10-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd run that tranny until it explodes, at least use your time now to source another one (wrecker). I know how much low gears on the highway suck, my toyota does 4100 RPM at 115 KPH in fourth gear. Never had fifth.

I'd deal with the alternator first. You don't want it damaging your electrical system. Get a junkyard alt and switch them. See what happens.

Avoid rain and puddles/dust until you can get the CV's somewhat repaired. I say get some functional wrecker replacements. If that's too rich for your blood, a lot of wreckers peel apart the CV's when they pull engines, and you can get the boots for super cheap (often free). Pull your CV's, wash them spotless with solvent, blast clean with air, wash the boots out with simple green or dish soap. Wear rubber gloves, used CV grease is hazardous.

I haven't a clue where to start with the idle issue. Still trying to figure out my own. Maybe fuel pressure, or to do with the electrical issue? IACV buggered out? Guess you're on your own with that one.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna go with new or rebuilt CVs they're cheap enough. I'm too beat (wacked out back) to go tromppin' around the pick yards alone. And I don't have a place to do parts washing and rebuilds...this dumb ass housing doesn't even provide hose access.

As far as the idle, we have it tuned up pretty good so I'm thinking IACV or fuel pump, maybe injectors are clogged. Only has 116 K but the EGR was bad...Pico fixed it solved about 1/2 of the idle issue. Who knows what kinda fuel the last guys was dumping in there. I hate people that treat their cars and computers like a toasters. I quite possibly saved my Accord from the wreckers. I don't have time to do a whole rebuild on the tranny, but it might not be that bad.

phrenology
10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Got the O2 sensor replaced yesterday, I'm hoping t will smog clean now. I got other issues to deal with now...:(