PDA

View Full Version : Stutter/Stall on Open Throttle

jay
10-10-2002, 12:07 PM
Argh... :pissed:

My car is having trouble starting... It cranks fine, but takes a few tries to turn over.

Once it's started, it can idle fine, but as soon as I press the gas it stutters and stalls. I found that only if a press the gas s.l.o.w.l.y I can rev the engine high enough the let the clutch catch the slack and get the car moving. It'll chatter and drop revs if I ever try and open up the throttle at all more than tiny increments. Makes shifting real fun... :rolleyes: Once it's moving at a steady pace, it seems fine again.

Suggestions please? I can't find my Haynes manual. Let me tell you, I was pissed last night when I thought I was stranded without it! :pissed:

TIA!

shepherd79
10-10-2002, 12:15 PM
first off all look under your seat, (from behind). you should see the box. it is your computer. pry the plastic off and read the code (how many times it blinks before it starts blinking again).
than go to here http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185 and find the code you have.

anchovies
10-10-2002, 12:17 PM
When was the last time you change the fuel filter + air filter?
The difficult starting might be related to the filters also, unless it's only difficult to start on hot days. Then it's the main relay.

hth