PDA

View Full Version : source of carb dizzy rebuild parts

lostforawhile
10-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Has someone found a source of carb dizzy rebuild parts? I now have a second dizzy, so i would like to overhaul one of them, the main issue they seem to develop is an overheated bearing and a bad seal. I know the bearing issue is due to them just having splash lubrication, and the seal due to wear over time. I need a source of parts and I also seem to remember a rebuild thread somewhere on here. I'm sure I can well beat the average price of 400 bucks for a rebuild.

Dr_Snooz
10-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I think our distributors have had their day in the sun. It's time to start thinking about EDIS conversions or OBD-1 swaps. You being the machinist should be able to fab up an OBD-1 conversion plate before breakfast.

lostforawhile
10-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I think our distributors have had their day in the sun. It's time to start thinking about EDIS conversions or OBD-1 swaps. You being the machinist should be able to fab up an OBD-1 conversion plate before breakfast.

they aren't bad for a carb car where you just need a vaccume advance. i've taken several apart and the only things really worn were that seal and bearing, non points dizzys tend to last a very long time.

cygnus x-1
10-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Good luck finding parts. Some time back I completely disassembled my old A18 distributor (carbed 2g Prelude, same as A20) to see if I could source replacement bearings. What I discovered was that the bearing is a seriously whacked out size, like a metric OD and an imperial ID. Honestly I had a hard time believing it even though I measured it like 12 times. It simply defies all logic and good sense. But I googled around anyway and sure enough I was able to find hints that there was actually such a bastard size, originating somewhere in Asia. At that point I decided I would never again mess with a Honda distributor.

You could probably rework one if you had the time to spend making custom parts or scouring the globe for replacements.

C|

lostforawhile
10-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Good luck finding parts. Some time back I completely disassembled my old A18 distributor (carbed 2g Prelude, same as A20) to see if I could source replacement bearings. What I discovered was that the bearing is a seriously whacked out size, like a metric OD and an imperial ID. Honestly I had a hard time believing it even though I measured it like 12 times. It simply defies all logic and good sense. But I googled around anyway and sure enough I was able to find hints that there was actually such a bastard size, originating somewhere in Asia. At that point I decided I would never again mess with a Honda distributor.

You could probably rework one if you had the time to spend making custom parts or scouring the globe for replacements.

C|someone makes it, they rebuild em. i remember there being a thread on here about a source for that bearing. i wonder if it's the same as any other later honda?

Xaisk
10-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I pulled a search on it out of curiosity and found this site that sells bearings. Im not sure if its the right part.. when I entered the A20 engine it pulled this up..

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/nachi-bearing-w01331632008--honda-accord-nachi-bearing-w0133-1632008-distributor-bearing#description

But it says the thing fits 90-93 Accords... that doesnt make alot of sense to me...

Ive pulled searchs on other sites and that same one keeps popping up, but it doesnt say its for the A series dizzy.

lostforawhile
10-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I pulled a search on it out of curiosity and found this site that sells bearings. Im not sure if its the right part.. when I entered the A20 engine it pulled this up..

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/nachi-bearing-w01331632008--honda-accord-nachi-bearing-w0133-1632008-distributor-bearing#description

But it says the thing fits 90-93 Accords... that doesnt make alot of sense to me...

Ive pulled searchs on other sites and that same one keeps popping up, but it doesnt say its for the A series dizzy.it may be the same bearing

Xaisk
10-12-2010, 07:17 AM
MAybe. My dizzy is OLLLLD. Years ago.. when the car was only 11 years old and we still lived in Germany the dizzy died and we ordered one from the junkyard. Ive been running a junkyard dizzy since and its been working, but I dont know for how much longer.. Dont wanna buy a new one if I can rebuild mine. MUUUCH cheaper..

lostforawhile
10-12-2010, 07:37 AM
who knows the exact inside and outside diameter of the original bearing so the two can be compared?

Xaisk
10-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Id pull one from the junkyard if I stumbled upon one. They seem to be rare here. If I see one ill pull it and take it apart to look.

cygnus x-1
10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
This thread has the bearing part number.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72819

I just took a look at my old dizzy and even though the shaft measures out at 12.5mm, there is a snap ring groove right at the edge of the bearing, so the actual bearing seat might NOT be 12.5mm. I can't measure it without removing the bearing because it's completely concealed, and I would have to rig up some sort of puller to get it off.

C|