PDA

View Full Version : Washed engine bay, and now speedo and cruise is dead...

Nafs Asdf
10-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Like the title says, washed my engine bay today and now I noticed the speedo is completely dead, and the cruise control button doesn't light up anymore.

Where should I start looking for what I screwed up? I'm thinking I either pulled out something somehwere by mistake, or managed to short something. Everything else seems to be working fine. The fuse for the cruise control checks out ok.

ghettogeddy
10-10-2010, 08:09 AM
well i would check your cruise control unit oitd on the right hand side of the engine make sure no pugs where unplugged

the speedo is cable drivin so unless you mean tach i dont know who you could have messed that up lol

Nafs Asdf
10-10-2010, 08:15 AM
well i would check your cruise control unit oitd on the right hand side of the engine make sure no pugs where unplugged

the speedo is cable drivin so unless you mean tach i dont know who you could have messed that up lol

I tried to look for loose plugs (just a quick look, need to do a more thorough one), but didn't find any.

And yes, I mean speedo, tach works but not the speedo. Where does the speedo cable run in the engine bay, maybe I might have done something to it?

2oodoor
10-10-2010, 08:35 AM
check the speedo cable retention clip diidnt come out down at the steering rack, I know that is usually the most dirty part on these cars so maybe you concentrated the water pressure there and disturbed something.

Nafs Asdf
10-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Ok, I found the cable and the problem. I've apparently pulled on the cable where it runs above the engine, and it's slipped out of the tranny (not all the way, but enough to not be where it should be). Now I just need to figure out how to get it back in there, I can't really see it from above, just found it feeling around with my fingers.

So is there supposed to be a clip or something that should hold it in place, because I don't think I noticed anything like that.

What I figured since I felt there's a small tab at the side of the cable, I need to get that in the right position and it'll slip back in... Is this correct?

Oldblueaccord
10-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes it presses in and then a small metal clip keeps it from popping out. Best thing for you is pull it out and look at the end so you can understand how it mates to the sensor.

wp

Nafs Asdf
10-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Well I fiddled around with it a bit in the dark, and then went for a drive. Didn't think I had gotten it back in properly, however the speedo worked again so I must've gotten it somewhat right. :)

Thanks for the help guys.

A18A
10-10-2010, 02:38 PM
glad i could help :wave: now pics of the clean engine bay

Nafs Asdf
10-10-2010, 08:32 PM
It's still not really clean tho, just less dirty-ish... And I wish I'd get around to doing something to the valve cover, the flaking paint isn't looking too hot.

I'll see if I'll get a pic later.