PDA

View Full Version : Car running rough, any suggestions?

87BLUELX-i
10-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Hello, I have an 87 LX-i, and about two weeks ago it started sputtering and missing when you are accelerating. It doesn't do it if you are really easy on the gas and accelerate slowly, but if you get on the gas just a little it will start sputtering. I have searched the threads pertaining to this and havent found anything that is quite the same as my problem, plus I work too much to spend very much time searching.
I noticed that it started happening after it had rained for two days straight after it hadn't rained for months. I thought that it may have something to do with it, but I don't know. Could it be the distributor? Fuel pump or filter? Plugs or wires? I know I need to replace the ECT sensor, the car takes like 5-7 seconds of cranking to start, and then I will smell gas. So I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nh

itzdave
10-10-2010, 08:26 AM
check the distributor/ignition timing and spark plugs.

Dr_Snooz
10-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm going to say you have a bad plug wire.

87BLUELX-i
10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I've been planning on replacing that stuff anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm gonna try new plugs, wires, and dizzy cap. I'll see how it does after that.