PDA

View Full Version : wiring questions

youceffhasacar
10-11-2010, 01:52 PM
A couple weeks ago, my car died after a few hours of driving with the battery light on. I had the battery recharged, then replaced for a brand new one and it died again. I went in and took out the alternator after recommendation from autozone but found out that the alternator was fine after another test at checkers/oreillys. I then decided to look into the wiring and found a few messy/corroded spots. I'm not sure why i did what i did but i took out the wiring harness that links the alternator to the battery. In the process I also took out the parts of the harness that were routed to the engine. I figured i could find a way to plug them back in. My current problem is that I've looked around the web and local shops for the wiring harness but no one seems to have it. If someone could point me into the right direction as to where to get the part i would be grateful. I also need a diagram that outlines where the engine wires go to and if possible how to get them there easily.
thank you for the support

Dr_Snooz
10-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Oh boy. You stepped right in it, didn't you? First, never trust those tests at Kragen, Autozone, et al. You can buy a multimeter for cheap and do your own testing. I suspect your alternator is indeed bad, but you should test and make sure for yourself. The shop manual is here (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php)and will show you how to test it.

Second, why, oh why, did you remove the wiring harness? Put it back now! The manual should show you how it's routed. If not, go to the junkyard and look at the cars there. You may be able to find a new harness from Honda, but I'd doubt it. If you do, you're looking at ~$300 for a new one. You'll have to build your own, or find one at the junkyard.

Good luck.

youceffhasacar
11-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the reply Dr Snooz. I've been cleaning the wiring harnesses that i took out for the past week and i'm ready to put them back in. I mentioned some wires that were connected to the engine bay and i'm still having some issues with reconnecting them. They're the one that are connected to the back of the engine, right under the carburetor. There's a white and blue one, a yellow and green one, and a yellow and red one. I've managed to find the correct(?) plugs for the white and blue wire and the yellow and green wire. But I still can't figure out where the red and yellow wire is supposed to go. I remember pulling it out of a pretty deep spot, and it's still tangled up at the end from that. Could you give me any clue as to where it's supposed to go? The manual isn't very precise and i can't find a thread on here that mentions it. I will try to go to the yard as you suggested but i'd really appreciate being able to skip that step.
thank you in advance for the help

Dr_Snooz
11-03-2010, 10:00 AM
The red one might go to the oil pressure sender. The yellow might go to the alternator but it might go to the carb too. Sorry, my car's fuel injected, so it's different.